Chicken laying tiny eggs and acting lethargic

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Emmapee, Dec 15, 2012.

1. Emmapee

Emmapee Out Of The Brooder

Nov 7, 2012
    Colorado
    This is only my 2nd year doing the backyard flock thing, but I'm beginning to get a little concerned with my two girls. Jackson, the RIR, is usually super active and always out of the coop and being bossy. Butters has been more of a coop bird, but she has been up in the coop way more as well. I know it's winter, but last year they were still out every day, even when it was around 0. So Jackson is our layer (Butters has recently stopped laying due to old age) and lately her eggs have been tiny! I am worried that she is sick or not feeling well and I'm not sure what to do. I reallllly cannot afford a vet, especially the kind that sees chickens. They had mites this summer, and I've always put the mite dust in their dust bathing area... I thought it subsided, but maybe I'm wrong. So, any advice? I was wondering if maybe I need to worm them or there's some sort of treatment I can give from home.

2. TweeTea

TweeTea Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2012
    Canberra, Australia
    You could try increasing protein in their diet which may help. If it is a disease/health issue you may want to repost under that forum area. My girls have never had mites so im not sure how it would impact egg size.

Best of luck

3. TweeTea

TweeTea Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2012
    Canberra, Australia
    If they are sick you are more likely to see eggs stop as i understand it. Also if my girls get sick they sit down alot and eat less.

You could try giving the girls some yogurt which they love but also has good stomach bacteria. Also have a look at their dropings for signs ill health

Last edited: Dec 15, 2012

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by