1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Chicken laying too many eggs?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by busyknittinmom, Sep 30, 2013.

1. busyknittinmom

busyknittinmom New Egg

May 18, 2013
    Colorado Springs, CO
    We have 3 chickens. Bertha is a Red Sex Link. I have been getting 3 eggs regularly for several weeks. They are young and just started laying at the end of July. Sunday I got 3 regular eggs. Sunday afternoon the chickens are out in the yard and Bertha is behaving strange, not running around, not coming to us expecting treats. Later, she was pretty much hiding under the chair, half sleeping, breathing normally but her tail was up strangely. My husband went out a bit later and she had just laid some soft shelled egg, and one of the other girls had just discovered it and consumed it. Bertha was tired, and her comb was not as bright red as usual (but still red). This morning, I went to let them out of the coop and into the pen and Bertha and CeCe did not come out, I opened up the door and there was CeCe eating another soft shelled egg in the center of the coop, Bertha was in the nesting box and then they both came out. I got two regular eggs. Bertha acted fine until again this evening, and she is acting just like last night - hiding, tail up, half asleep, etc. I am keeping an eye on her to see if another soft shelled thing comes out. Have you heard of a chicken trying to produce too many eggs? And any ideas what is causing this and can it be fixed?

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
  3. IttyBiddyRedHen

IttyBiddyRedHen Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2011
    East coast
    Hens only can lay one egg every so many hours. 26+ hours(?) I know there are old timers out there who can explain it better.

I found a link from another member (thank you mattemma) which shows the hens reproductive tract. I don't know if the link will post in here, but you can scroll through the pics and find it.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/g/i/5636971/a/6413666/stuff-for-me/

4. busyknittinmom

busyknittinmom New Egg

May 18, 2013
    Colorado Springs, CO
    I understand that chickens should not be able to lay more than 1 egg every 24 hours or so. None the less, Bertha has now laid 5 eggs since Sunday (it is now Tuesday). I only have 3 chickens. I had 3 eggs on Sunday - all normal. Sunday afternoon she acted ill and out came a soft shell egg (husband saw this), Monday morning - 2 regular eggs and 1 soft shelled egg, Monday afternoon/evening - acted ill and another soft shelled egg, Tuesday morning - again one soft shelled egg and 2 regular eggs. So she is basically laying 2 incomplete eggs in 24 hours. Therefore, something is wrong. I have a dish of oyster shell calcium in their pen - so she can have as much as she pleases and she does. She is eating the same food as the others (crumbles for layers), she is running around fine and then goes to hide for a couple of hours and has another "egg". She had been laying fine, but at this point I am thinking it must be genetic.

5. IttyBiddyRedHen

IttyBiddyRedHen Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2011
    East coast
    Well..Bertha IS busy! Maybe she doesn't understand the physiology of it all. If she is new to laying, it'll just take her some time to get it regulated.
    Or, that she is ill....and it is messing with her reproductive system. Maybe she needs to be isolated for a week or two, to stop her laying..so she can re-start fresh. I accidentally found that out with my Barred Rock. I had pulled her and the main rooster out and put them in a separate smaller cage. It disrupted her laying enough that she went from laying fragile shelled and soft shell egg...to halfway decent eggs. The ones she laid before, wouldn't have survived being under a broody for 21 days. Now, after her 2 week rest....she is laying normal shelled eggs. I had considered culling her of she had an irreversible shell gland issue.
    Sorry if I mis-read your original post. Lots of people really don't understand how it all works. I am learning myself.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by