Chicken laying two eggs at a sitting....

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by patrickfoy1, Aug 20, 2016.

1. patrickfoy1

patrickfoy1 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 3, 2016
    I have five chickens and they are almost 4 months old....they are Road Island Reds... One started laying the other day...I opened the coop and found that she dropped two eggs from the perch the night before.... they were rubbery and transparent.... so I opened a nesting box and placed two fake eggs in the nest.... the next day I found her, I call her red, (because of the identifying bands we put on their legs is red) I found red sitting on the nest.... a couple hours later I went back to check on her...she was with the other chickens and there were two pretty little eggs in the nest.... she is laying two eggs at a sitting...and she is doing this everyday now....
    None of the other chickens are laying yet....we have 8 eggs from Red in the last four days....
    Question....
    Should I open another nesting box? I built three for 5 chickens....
    Will she continue to lay 2 eggs at a sitting?
    When will the eggs be larger? They are very small.... having ate one yet...

Thanks anyone.... Excited!![​IMG]

2. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

Not possible....Plus those bird are way too young to lay eggs.
    Is that an old photo??? Are those the new pullets?
    Anyways two are using the same nest box...As far as soft shelled eggs go, it takes time for new layers to get into sync and lay proper eggs.

3. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

PM me again..? Thanks

4. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    I assume that this pic is from when they were younger.

It is not unprecedented for a new layer to lay more than one egg in a day.....especially a sexlink bird...especially one or both eggs being softshelled.
    It's not common but it is not impossible.

Hopefully and probably this will cease very soon.....
    .....and you'll have to make sure that you don't have more than one bird laying before jumping to drastic conclusions.

Pullet eggs are small, they will get bigger within days... or weeks, or months.....you won't know until see them.

5. patrickfoy1

patrickfoy1 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 3, 2016
    Ha, ha....there are a lot more things in my life I consider "drastic" .... Finally have another girl laying.. caught her this morning.... one small egg.... got one from my double layer this morning..... they are very small eggs at this point...can anyone tell me when to expect them to be normal size eggs?

6. Jenna14Chicken

Jenna14Chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2016
    OH.
    There isn't really a date when they will get bigger. They just do whenever, but I would think within the next month or so but could be shorter or longer. Good luck!

7. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Quote:

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by