Chicken Laying Weird Eggs?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by CookieChicken03, May 19, 2016.

1. CookieChicken03

CookieChicken03 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 15, 2016
    So, I went out to the coop yesterday to get the eggs, I noticed that one of them had a strange buildup of cement like stuff on the top. When I washed it I tried to pick it off with my fingernail, and I notice that that broke off part of the shell. We haven't pin pointed the chicken yet, but none of them have been acting strangely. Is this something I should be worried about? I will try to get a pick on here the next time she lays a weird egg. Thanks!

2. Rudies Roost

Rudies Roost Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2015
    Solihull, UK
    Possibly a calcium build up ive read about. A few of mine lay one like that every so often. I also read it could be caused by too much protein in the diet. I'm no expert but that was my findings, I've changed nothing about my hens diet as its only occasionally that this happens for me. Someone else may come along and have other causes for the deposit on the egg, but i was told by my vet not to worry unless it becomes very common.

3. ChickenLover200

ChickenLover200 Overrun With Chickens

May 10, 2013
    I'll be in the barn!
    It is totally normal. I think they are called calcium deposits. Usually it is if a chicken has too much calcium. I've had my fair share of those kind of eggs,so I've done plenty of research :D

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by