1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

chicken laying while roosting,,

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by n2h20, Jan 31, 2009.

1. n2h20

n2h20 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2008
    Pasadena Ca
    The other day i posted about a cracked egg. Well i discovered my RIR who has been laying for almost 2 weeks now, lays while on the roost. She is not the brightest chicken in the coop to begin with. I have been watching her to see how the eggs get cracked, she hops on the roost and lays, how can i stop this? I have been trying to push her into the nest box right before she lays. I have only done this twice and both times she has laid in the nest,,, yah!!. any other ideas?

thanks!!

2. Shared Acres

Shared Acres Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2008
    Northeast Fla
    Is there any way to block off the roosts during the day?

Do you have any golfballs in the nest so she'll know what they are there for?

3. n2h20

May 7, 2008
    Pasadena Ca
    I thought of that today and put a scarp piece of lumber blocking the roost,,, she was so confused,, [​IMG]

i have a gold ball in there all the time, and i even have been leaving the other eggs in there till she (Red) is finished.

4. Omran

Omran Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2008
    Bagdad KY
    I will try to put anoter small nesting box close to where she stands on the roost maybe she get he Idea

5. Chickapooh23

Chickapooh23 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2009
    Corning OH
    I had that problem briefly when some of my chickens started to lay. There shells were very soft and they just kinda crapped out this egg on the roost. They stopped on their own but they only did it once or twice apiece.

I have seen nesting boxes that close behind the chicken and you have to let them out once they lay. I am not sure of your set up but could you put her in a nest and maybe fasten a screen or something in front so you have to release her. She may not be happy but maybe after a week or so she'd figure out to lay in the nest herself.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2009
  6. n2h20

May 7, 2008
    Pasadena Ca
    i could try thr screen idea,,, i have just been pushing her back in with my hand.. of course i wont always been around when she decides to lay.. so i cant always be there to push her in... hopefully she catches on pretty soon,,,, a "nonproductive: chick is a pointless chick

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by