Chicken laying with legs fully out.. HELP

NewGuy2020

Hatching
Sep 20, 2020
Hello new here to this thread. Joined because my mother in law purchased chickens and has been caring for them. She doenst know I am posting on here, but as an avid animal lover I am concerned that she is caring for them in the wrong way. My main concern is that the biggest chicken she has is laying down with her legs fully out. I did research and some say its normal, some say its signs of disease. I have attached pics of her design of the coop and the chicken that I have concern for.
Also im not a farmer or anything, I have zero knowledge of how to care for chickens, but i KNOW for sure the chicken coop should not have a giant fountain with plants that take up 75% of the space.
D20167A1-76A5-4041-B94D-7C011812501B.jpeg
097A4C52-9866-417C-B6C9-E33365027B58.jpeg
60A45B10-632D-4930-A28F-7E91CBDC0EAD.jpeg
FEDCC33D-2C26-4C87-9344-35E0CD775BA5.jpeg

My Cornish cross hen was much older and waaaay bigger. She was still alive and well when I gave her away. She laid daily too. Once when it was muddy she slipped trying to follow the others up the hill and hurt one of her legs. Within a day and a half she fully recovered. I think your bird slipped or either a rooster made her slip a tendon (possibly??). You can see what separating her for a day or two will do, but I think it’s best to cull her.

That is a type of meat bird, that are meant to get very large and get butchered. It can't stand because it has gotten very heavy, as it is supposed to, and it's legs can't hold its weight. If she wants to there are probably ways to give it a sling and let it lose weight in a healthy way, but she will have to make sure to pay close attention to the bird to make sure it doesn't overeat and gets plenty of exercise. It may be better to cull it.

Back
Top Bottom