Chicken lays a dirty colored egg?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Sunsetlake, Aug 23, 2014.

1. Sunsetlake

Sunsetlake Out Of The Brooder

Mar 4, 2014
    Rural Indiana
    The three EEs have just started laying. One lays a bluish green egg, another lays a cream colored egg, and the other lays a dirty colored egg. It's darker on one end than the other and looks like a brownish dirt color. When I scrub it a little I can wash it off and it's cream colored underneath.

Is there something wrong with this chicken?

2. iwiw60

iwiw60 Overrun With Chickens

Jan 27, 2014
    Central Oregon
    There's nothing wrong with your hen...she's just getting her egg-producting body into gear! It is not unusual at all to see off-color eggs, soft shells, etc., when they are just beginning. Give her time, all will be well!

3. Sunsetlake

Mar 4, 2014
    Rural Indiana
    Ok, thank you! I was just worried there was something wrong with her physically. Dirty egg or not, she's mine and I'm just thankful she's laying eggs now!

4. N F C

N F C gobble gobble Premium Member Project Manager

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
  5. Sunsetlake

Mar 4, 2014
    Rural Indiana
    Just wanted to follow up on this post in case someone searches for what I typed and maybe I can be of some help. I found now, that the cream colored egg I first got was a duck egg, probably from my blue Swedish duck, and what I thought was a dirty looking egg was actually from my Cayuga duck! So the very first eggs I started to get were from mostly my ducks. It was just hard to tell because since they just started laying, their eggs weren't very big yet so I assumed they were chicken eggs. But, now I've been getting some very large eggs from time to time now. Anyways, maybe this will help someone else out in the future! I just assumed that when the ducks started to lay, their eggs would be huge and I would know right away it was them. Nope, they can lay very small eggs in the beginning!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by