Chicken lays different color egg

aderenzo

Songster
7 Years
Apr 26, 2016
These two eggs were laud by the same chicken 1 day apart. I know for sure for she is in a pen by herself. Have you ever seen such a change in egg color? Is there a defficiency that caused egg to be lighter?

Attachments

• 209B0510-FD26-479E-AF3D-8214C2FACC0A.jpeg
    209B0510-FD26-479E-AF3D-8214C2FACC0A.jpeg
    299.5 KB · Views: 6
These two eggs were laud by the same chicken 1 day apart. I know for sure for she is in a pen by herself. Have you ever seen such a change in egg color? Is there a defficiency that caused egg to be lighter?
Probably just a glitch, the brown coating can vary from day to day.
How old is this layer and how long have they been laying?
What breed is she?

X2 on what breed is she? While most chickens are pretty consistent in their coloration, certain brown egg layers, particularly breeds that lay dark eggs, will be more likely to have color variation. Welsummers for example are known for variations in the brown pigmentation. While I don't have the best picture collection, my Welsummer usually lays a light brown egg with dark brown speckles, but sometimes she lays a darker brown egg with few to no speckles.

Egg colors work like this:
- white eggs are a white because the shell itself is white
- blue eggs are blue because the shell itself is blue
- brown eggs have a white shell with a brown pigmentation "painted" onto the egg.
- olive eggs are a blue shell with a brown pigmentation

For brown eggs, the pigmentation (or "printer ink") will start to run low as the season goes on, and dark brown egg layers in particular tend to lay lighter and lighter colored brown eggs.

Back
Top Bottom