1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Chicken lays her head over 90 degrees when trying to look at me--new behavior.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by ella&clara, Dec 26, 2014.

1. ella&clara

ella&clara Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 18, 2010
    I couldn't think of another way to describe this. This hen has been treated for coccidiosis recently and I separated her to the flock. When I tried to reintroduce her to the flock, they pecked at her and tore her comb partly off her head. They also pecked near her eye. This was about 2 weeks ago, and she seemed to move her head normally once she got used to the comb flopping around. I've put her in with the most submissive chicken so she wouldn't be lonely and so, I hope, I can reintroduce her to the flock. She's started laying her head over 90 degrees onto her shoulder in the most bizarre manner to look at me. When she's walking around pecking the ground she behaves normally, but it seems to be when something is taller than her that she does this weird thing. Basically she lays her head over on her shoulder, one eye to the shoulder and one eye up. Any ideas what's going on? She seems to feel well, eats and drinks and forages.

2. MeepBeep

MeepBeep Chillin' With My Peeps

Chickens eyes (like on most non-predator animals) are situated on the sides of their heads, not the front... Thus they have a naturally hard time actually seeing directly in front of them, this is usually why they cock their head to the side if they want to get a better look in front of them... Also if as you said she was pecked near the eye there might be an injury that is making it even harder for her to see...

Last edited: Dec 26, 2014
  3. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    It sounds like it could be a conditions called wry neck or torticolis. Pictures always help, though. Wry neck is a symptom of a neurological problem that can be from a head injury, a vitamin deficiency, or from certain diseases including Mareks. Most people treat it with vitamin B1 (thiamine,) Vitamin E, and selenium. You can use a product called Poultry Nutri-Drench or Poultry Cell, or you can give a poultry vitamin in the water, then supplement with egg or tuna for the selenium. Also, you will want to limit stimulation and noise, and help her to eat and drink enough. Here is some reading about wry neck:
    http://www.browneggblueegg.com/Article/Crookneck/Crookneck.html
    http://oureggbasket.blogspot.com/2013/04/wry-neck-or-crook-neck-understanding-it.html
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/97121/lets-talk-wry-neck-crook-neck

4. ella&clara

Sep 18, 2010
    This is definitely something I've never seen before (I have had chickens for 3.5 years).

5. ella&clara

Sep 18, 2010
    Thanks, I'll try to get some pictures. It's very bizarre-looking.

6. ella&clara

Sep 18, 2010
  7. Makomd

Makomd Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2011
    ES of MD , USA
    Agreed looks like Wry Neck to me.

8. ella&clara

Sep 18, 2010
    Any comments on my video of her?

9. MeepBeep

MeepBeep Chillin' With My Peeps

That looks like possibly wry neck in the video, try pumping her full of Vitamins, especially Vitamin B complexes... Poly-Vi-Sol (no iron) found in the baby section of your drug store works well (beware it will stain everything) you can also get some nutritional brewers yeast and add it to her food, or something labeled for poultry use if you want...

10. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    The video looks like wry neck or torticolis, just as it sounded from your description in post #1. Follow the treatment for wry neck in post #2.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by