chicken leg band

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by omartorres, Mar 8, 2012.

1. omartorres

omartorres Out Of The Brooder

Nov 6, 2011
    what is the leg band and what is it used for?

2. AnimalLady123

AnimalLady123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2012
    At the computer
    A leg band is a plastic or metal band that goes around your chick(en)s leg so you can ID them easily!! Good Luck!! [​IMG]

3. dsfrango

dsfrango Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2011
    Stafford Springs
    I need to buy some bands because Im gonna begin to hatch and need to make sure I am pair up the right ones so that Im not inbreeding. I was gonna order but came to find out how many different sizes there are. What size would be good for a bantam leg(D'uccles & Sebrights)??
    Thanks

4. dsfrango

dsfrango Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2011
    Stafford Springs
    Actually, was able to find a size chart on google. Im gonna go with size 7. Thanks anyways

5. SassyKat6181

SassyKat6181 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2010
    Western Mass
    Tractor Supply sells tiny zipties in a bag of mixed colors. I have been using them when I dust the chickens. It's nice because you can adjust it to each bird and snip the end off.

6. Sweetlilbaby

Sweetlilbaby Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2012
    Tacoma Washington
    you can also go to the dollar store and get a pack of small zip ties and use those :) the 4 inch ones work great. then clip off the extra :D

7. WalkingOnSunshine

WalkingOnSunshine Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2008
    Ohio
    I ordered mine from Randall Burkey company. We use leg bands for IDing chickens. When you just have two or three, you can use names. When you're up over 50, with turnover of 1/3 the flock every year, you use leg bands. We use different colors to specify cohorts, and we record whether the band is on right leg or left, so my chickens have names like R34L or G12R. Not as poetic as Suzy and Fluffy, but it gets the job done.

The roosters get names, though. They're easy to tell apart, since they are a RIR (Bruce), a wheaten Ameraucana (Billy) and a blue lemon cuckoo Marans (Blue).

8. OlandskMama

OlandskMama Out Of The Brooder

Mar 1, 2014
    Hood Canal, WA
    Hi, how did the size 7 work out for you and which kind did you find? . I have Olandsk Dwarf and firgure they would be about the same size as your bantams. Thanks!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by