Chicken leg/foot injury

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Beektoven, Sep 4, 2016.

1. Beektoven

Beektoven Just Hatched

May 16, 2016
    East County San Diego
    This morning I found one of my chicken hanging from her foot from the roosting perch. After taking her down and holding her awhile she seemed to be doing better. I made a nice clean area for her on the floor in the coop and she is able to move around. However, she is dragging the right lower leg and not putting any weight on it. How can I tell if she has a broken leg or dislocation? Is there anything I can do to help her heal?

The injured hen is a white Leghorn that just started laying last week. I have another White Leghorn,2 Black Sex Link, and one ameracauna. and everyone except my americauna started laying in the last couple weeks.

I am rethinking my perch design of a closet hanging bar and brackets as her foot was stuck between the bracket and the bar.

Thanks for any advice!

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Things like this can happen. I had one get her leg stuck in the hanging ring of a waterer, but she hadn't suffered any permanent injury yet. You could get an Xray done by your local vet, but it will cost quite a bit. Resting the leg in a dog crate with food and water on soft bedding for a week or two can help you to see if there is nerve damage, a sprain, or a broken bone. Broken bones and sprains can take 3 weeks or more to heal. Only time will tell with nerve damage, but check to see if she can move her toes when stroked. I would make some more simple roosts out of 2X4's with the wide side up and place them 2 feet or less off the floor. Please let us know how she does.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2016
  3. Beektoven

Beektoven Just Hatched

May 16, 2016
    East County San Diego
    Well my injured chicken is on day 2 of her recovery and she is limping but hanging out with her sisters as usual. Even roosting with them. She chills out in her favorite shady spot and other than being a little slow she keeps on with her daily routine. Thanks for the reply and supportive advice.

4. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Thank you for the update, and hoping for a good recovery.

5. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

I use 2x4s flat side up.....Chickens like sleeping on their feet....attach to the wall like steps....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by