Chicken legs have become very pale white and pink

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by karensklucks, Feb 7, 2015.

1. karensklucks

karensklucks Out Of The Brooder

Apr 8, 2012
    We brought in Americaunas and Buff Orphingtons, into our mix. These chickens were very well cared for and we had to pen the roosters, because there were so many of them and our farm also has bantams. We were slowly trying to intermingle the new hens with the hens that were born here. We suddenly noticed that 4 Americauna/Buff Orphinton roosters had very pale legs, with pink areas. We then noticed that 3 of the Buff Orphington hens also had the same pale legs. Our weather, in Texas, has been very erratic, going from 32 to 65. All are eating and their poop is normal. Can someone tell me what is happening? I am frantic and don't know what to do. The roosters are about 9 months old. THANK YOU

2. 21hens-incharge

21hens-incharge Chicken Obsessed

Mar 9, 2014
    Northern Colorado
    [​IMG]

Buff Orpingtons have pale legs to begin with. It may be perfectly normal. If you can get a picture it would help people help you.

3. karensklucks

karensklucks Out Of The Brooder

Apr 8, 2012
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. collingwood

collingwood Chillin' With My Peeps

Welcome to BYC! I wish I could help!

5. 21hens-incharge

21hens-incharge Chicken Obsessed

Mar 9, 2014
    Northern Colorado
    They look just like my 4 year old Buff Orpingtons legs. I think they are fine.
    If you google Buff Orpington legs brace yourself some pics that can come up are of some horrific injuries.

Edited to add

If you have separated the roosters you should feed them "all flock" so they do not get to much calcium.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2015
    1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by