Chicken lethargic and not acting normal

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by wildchicken23, Oct 25, 2016.

1. wildchicken23

wildchicken23 New Egg

Oct 25, 2016
    Hi,
    Earlier today, my chicken (she's about 6 months old) started acting really wierd. She was not pecking and scratching at the ground like the rest of my chickens. Instead, she would stand there or hide behind the chicken coop. Also, her eyelids get heavy and she looks like she's falling asleep standing up. She doesn't care if we pick her up (normally she squirms) and isn't making any of the usual chicken noises. She normally lays an egg every day, but today she hasn't. What is wrong with her? Any suggestions on how to help her would be greatly appreciated. Thank you![​IMG]

2. minihorse927

minihorse927 Whipper snapper Premium Member

Nov 3, 2010
    Can you feel an egg inside her?

3. wildchicken23

wildchicken23 New Egg

Oct 25, 2016
    I don't know what an egg inside of her feels like.

4. minihorse927

Nov 3, 2010
    Go back by her vent and gently push going forward. You will find 2 bony points that is her pelvic area. Generally eggs get stuck there. Feel as far forward as you can and see if you feel any hard mass. There really shouldn't be any there. Also check her vent for discharge in case she has had an egg broke inside her.

5. wildchicken23

wildchicken23 New Egg

Oct 25, 2016
    I didn't feel an egg or see any discharge. But she has started to be a little more active. She now is acting a little like a chicken again. Thank you so much for your advice!

6. minihorse927

Nov 3, 2010
    I would keep he secluded for the night and see if she passes any broken egg pieces. Let us know how she is tomorrow!

7. MelonHeadSeb

MelonHeadSeb Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2014
    Feel her abdomen, does it feel bloated at all? If so, it could be egg peritonitis. This can be treated with antibiotics such as Baytil or Linco-Spectin or can be cured with a Suprelorin implant (which is quite expensive)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by