Chicken Lethargic, Full Crop In the Morning, No Appetite- Help.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by ChickenPeep, Feb 24, 2014.

1. ChickenPeep

ChickenPeep Faith & Feathers

May 1, 2011
    Olathe, Kansas
    My favorite chicken, Ebony is sick.
    Yesterday my brother said she was throwing up. He had just given her some water and what it sounded like to me was that she drank too much and was throwing up. I just felt her crop, and it wasn't full but it hadn't emptied overnight. Not she's not as active as she usually is.
    She has access to grit. I did just realize that we hadn't changed her water in a while, so maybe sour crop?
    I an NOT about to lose her. She is my baby. I just lost another chicken and will NOT lose her.

Edited to add:
    Ebony started molting a week and a half ago and she still is. She lives inside most of the time with a light in her coop, and I've heard that having lights in the coop can mess up their internal calendar and cause them to molt at strange times. I'm not concerned that she is losing feathers as a result of disease. I was considering the possibility that she stress of molting is causing her to get sick...? She turned 2 in October, and this is her first molt. She and her buddies had not been outside in a while (due to extreme cold) until Saturday which had temperatures in the mid 50s. She was outside all day Saturday. We don't have a lot of grass for her to eat in our yard. She's had access to grit. I did realize today that I had not changed her water for a week (she still had water, I just hadn't cleaned out the waterer). I also remembered that When I refilled her water a week ago, I forgot to put ACV in it. I was thinking that maybe this could make her sick...?

Suggestions, information and advice are all GREATLY appreciated! Thanks! [​IMG]

(P.S.- I edited the title to more accurately describe her symptoms)

Last edited: Feb 24, 2014
  2. chooks4life

chooks4life Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2013
    Australia
    You should feel her crop and see if there's anything hard in it, even if it's only a few centimeters across. That can be enough to kill them. If you think an animal's blocked up, giving them a tablespoon of cold pressed olive oil will help shift whatever it is, unless it's so large it needs manipulating out of the crop manually, and in a worst case scenario crop surgery isn't really such a big deal. But you'd need to check her crop carefully first.

3. ChickenPeep

May 1, 2011
    Olathe, Kansas
    I have an update on her as well as some extra details that I didn't mention earlier.

When I got home from school today, she was the same as this morning. She is not completely inactive; she is still peppy and curious, but she's more lethargic and sleepy that usual. She is usually a monster when it comes to eating, but now she's just mildly curious. She usually scarfs down eggs immediately. When I gave her some today, she took a few bites, shook her head and walked away. She wasn't interested in water at all. I also haven't seen her poop yet. [​IMG] Her crop isn't like a balloon the way I hear it should be with sour crop. It's flat and small and a little squishy. I didn't feel any hard masses or grass. Not hard like people say it would be with an impaction, either.
    A week and a half ago Ebony started molting and she still is. She lives inside most of the time with a light in her coop, and I've heard that having lights in the coop can mess up their internal calendar and cause them to molt at strange times. I'm not concerned that she is losing feathers as a result of disease. I was considering the possibility that she stress of molting is causing her to get sick...? She turned 2 in October, and this is her first molt. She and her buddies had not been outside in a while (due to extreme cold) until Saturday which had temperatures in the mid 50s. She was outside all day Saturday. We don't have a lot of grass for her to eat in our yard. She's had access to grit. I did realize today that I had not changed her water for a week (she still had water, I just hadn't cleaned out the waterer). I also remembered that When I refilled her water a week ago, I forgot to put ACV in it. I was thinking that maybe this could male her sick...?

I will do whatever it takes to help my girl. She is part of my family. I have never loved a pet so dearly.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2014
  4. ChickenPeep

May 1, 2011
    Olathe, Kansas
    I've heard mixed things about Olive oil. I've heard that it can turn whatever is causing the impaction into a sticky mess.
    I'm not even sure if she has an impaction, though.

5. ChickenPeep

May 1, 2011
    Olathe, Kansas
    Anyone?

6. ChickenPeep

May 1, 2011
    Olathe, Kansas
    She barely pooped at all yesterday; only about two or three times in the afternoon. Today already she has pooped twice and she seems more active. Her poops look fairly normal but not like the usual.
    I can feel a few little lumps in her crop but I don't know if that is causing an impaction. Her crop is still the same; fairly small and squishy.

7. pwand

pwand Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 10, 2007
    BC Canada
    You probably should look at tube feeding. If blocked, lots of water is important. Deworm with Safeguard. . They can have a slow crop from worms. You need to determine if there is anything in the crop is hard, if sour you can give Fluconozole.

8. ChickenPeep

May 1, 2011
    Olathe, Kansas
    Tube feeding would be a hassle as she is very squirmy and would not let me stick a tube down her throat. [​IMG] She has been drinking and eating but not as much as usual. Today she ate some blueberries, some chicken feed, and bread soaked in water. She has been pooping normal poops but not as frequently. She is much more lethargic than normal, but she is active.
    Sometimes when I massage her crop I hear a almost gurgly sound as if there was a bubble in it. Today after I gave her the bread she lifted her head up and walked backwards slowly like there was something grabbing her neck. [​IMG] I will try to get a video of it.
    I have thought about worming. Can she still get worms if the temperature has been below freezing all month?

Last edited: Feb 26, 2014
  9. ChickenPeep

May 1, 2011
    Olathe, Kansas
    Well, she seemed like she was getting better but today she is really lethargic. She has just been standing around and not doing much. She has been eating and drinking and pooping fine. She is interested in food, but not as aggressively as usual. She is losing weight and seems somewhat weak. Yesterday she sneezed and held her mouth open for several seconds like she was having trouble breathing, but then she was fine. I don't know if that was random or if it has something to do with her sickness.
    I really want my normal Ebony back! I hate seeing her this way.[​IMG] @pwand , do you have any idea what could be causing this? None of my other chickens seem to be sick. I'm really hoping that I can figure it out and help her get better soon. [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 3, 2014
  10. pwand

pwand Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 10, 2007
    BC Canada
    You probably should look at tube feeding, if shes losing weight, she probably isn't getting enough into her. If crop is blocked, lots of water is important, tubing feeding it. Sour crop doesn't have to becas big as a ballon either.

Deworm with Safeguard. . They can have a slow crop from worms. You need to determine if there is anything in the crop is it hard or is it soured?

She needs to be in the house were its warm as she is sick.

What have you done?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by