Chicken - lethargic, head tucked in wing, runny poo

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Windy Bay Farm, Nov 17, 2013.

1. Windy Bay Farm

Windy Bay Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2013
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    I have 13 girls all around 6 months of age and I have been getting 5 - 6 eggs per day lately with all of the girls acting and doing normal chicken things. They free range during the day, are fed FF and all have been acting normal. Up until yesterday that is; I noticed one of my black stars, who is always very active and one of the top layers, was kind of acting depressed and keeping to herself. After a day or so it seemed like she was acting better so I let it be. This morning when I let them out to free range she came out but went off by herself and stood alone, with head tucked in her wing. She's definitely not acting normal that's for sure. I noticed her butt is messier than normal too. However, two of my BR's have had messy butts the last couple of days but they are still acting normal. The other thing is , they aren't eating their FF like they normally do... Usually when I put that stuff out it is gobbled up within minutes but the last few days I can fill their trough with FF during the day and the next day it is still half full. Even while free ranging thy ALWAYS cleaned the FF dry. To note, I recently (1 week ago) added a 5 month old rooster to the flock, he too seems to be acting normal with no signs of illness. I got him from a man with a small flock who ended up with. 4 roosters and of course e wanted to get rid of some. I'm worried about the black star and am wondering what I should do to treat her. I have separated her from the flock and given her some dry feed and ACV water. Could this be vent gleet or something , coccidiosis, etc ? What should I do about the other two BR's or have messy butts but otherwise seem to be acting normal ? Also, I am now only getting about 3 eggs per day, down from 5 - 6. I find this a bit stressful and am hoping that someone can offer some advice. I don't understand what's going on or why their appetites aren't what they used to be.

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    It does sound like coccidiosis. I would probably treat them with Amprol/Corid for the recommended amount on your label since you are in Canada. Worms and vent gleet are also possible. Worming with a wormer that gets more than roundworms would be a good idea. Worms as well as coccidosis can damage the intestines permanently. Here is some reading: http://www.tillysnest.com/2012/12/vent-gleet-prevention-and-treatment.html

1 person likes this.
  3. Windy Bay Farm

Apr 14, 2013
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Thank you, Egg... Any chance you would happen to know what a good wormer would be ?

4. Windy Bay Farm

Apr 14, 2013
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Also, if the new rooster I acquired has coccidiosis ... Could the girls have caught it from him ? Is it contagious ? I've only had him for 7 days, would that be long enough to show symptoms if they caught it from him ?

5. enola

enola Overrun With Chickens

Coccidia is contagious. If he brought a strain of coccidia that your hens are not resistant to they are vulnerable. Treat the whole flock for coccidia. When they are healthy again they will have built up a resistance.

6. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio

Yes I think a week would be long enough--2 days probaly not, but 5 days--yes. Valbazen is the best wormer on the market--gets all possible chicken worms, but at $40 is a bit pricey, and yo can only find it in some stores or online. Safe-guard Liquid goat wormer is less expensive, easier to find, and is about half the price. It gets all but tapeworm, which is rare.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2013
  7. Windy Bay Farm

Apr 14, 2013
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    I believe I will purchase some Corid tomorrow and treat the whole flock. Anyone know how long I have to stop eating eggs after treatment starts ?

8. cafarmgirl

cafarmgirl Overrun With Chickens

To be honest, I'd get the Corid today and get then started on it if at all possible. If that's what this is you don't have time on your side. Once they get to far along and too much damage from the coccidia there is no saving them.

There is no egg withdrawal on the Corid.

9. enola

enola Overrun With Chickens

X2 coccidia treated in its early stages doesn't cause much damage. But not treating ASAP can leave you with a chicken with a permanently damaged gut.

10. Windy Bay Farm

Apr 14, 2013
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    The problem is, there is no where to purchase it today. Everything here is closed on Sunday so I'm out of luck that way. The only option I have is to get it first thing in the morning and start right away. This is so stressful... I don't want my girls to suffer :(

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by