Chicken lethargic, moving strangely, poop on feathers

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by travelingchick, Dec 5, 2014.

1. travelingchick

travelingchick Just Hatched

Mar 16, 2013
    Hi everyone! This is my first time with a sick chicken so I'm really not sure what to do. My hen is almost 2 years old and has started acting very strangely. While the others peck around outside, she stays hunched in the coop or stands in this very unnatural looking straight-up position (see picture). She will drink water and eat a bit, but when she walks she kind of staggers but in the same sort of straight-up position. When I turn her over I see a lot of poop caked to her feathers. It's hard to clean because it's been very cold here and is frozen to the feathers. I have inspected her vent but it looks clean. She hasn't been laying but I assumed it was because she was getting older and it's so dark all the time now. Can anyone help?? Thanks in advance!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. HiyokoInNippon

HiyokoInNippon Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2014
    Japan, Hokkaido
    Did you feel her belly? Does it feel strange? How about her crop? I don't know the answer but I know that is what the next person will ask. Also, have you wormed lately?

3. travelingchick

Mar 16, 2013
    Her crop seems OK but her belly does seem a little swollen. I haven't wormed…maybe I should try that first?

4. HiyokoInNippon

Apr 29, 2014
    Japan, Hokkaido
    Give me a second to look something up, while I do that, try and find one of her poops. Fresher the better.

5. chickenstar

chickenstar Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2014
    Hi, looks like she has a egg stuck from the way she's standing, I whould start buy bringing her in your house where its warm , then make her a warm bath with some epsom salts if you have any on hand and clean the matted poop off of her, try to feel inside her vent for an egg , also does she feel heavy? Or have a really squishy fluid filled belly? If she does then she is most likley suffering from internal layer or eggyolk peritonitis in which case in order to save her a vet will need to extract fluid to relive the pressure and empty out her abdomen of fluids , possible antibiotics for infection and a desorelin hormone implant to stop the laying cycle so she won't have thease problems again , whatever you do if your hen is a cherished pet take her in to a vet asap as thease conditions are quickly fatal best wishes

6. travelingchick

Mar 16, 2013
    I just went out to check, and conveniently, she had just pooped and was still standing over it (since she doesn't like to move now). It was pale brown with white mixed in. Definitely not normal.

7. travelingchick

Mar 16, 2013
    Oh no!! [​IMG] Thank you for your help. I will bring her in and start the warm bath. I do have Epsom salts.

8. HiyokoInNippon

Apr 29, 2014
    Japan, Hokkaido
  9. chickenstar

chickenstar Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2014
    Okay good start buy trying to treat for eggbinding and keep me posted.

10. travelingchick

Mar 16, 2013
    It came out more fully formed, but this is after I poked it with a stick a bit to see if I could find worms.

Thank you all for your help.
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by