1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Chicken lethargic won't move, head down, convulses, happened suddenly

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by llegree, Jul 13, 2011.

1. llegree

llegree Out Of The Brooder

Jul 13, 2011
    Hello, this afternoon I found one of our chickens laying down by herself with head down eyes closed, seems limp and lethargic. Happened suddenly. She was fine earlier today. She cannot stand even with help. Doesn't appear to have any fleas, mites, worms that I can see. She convulses once and awhile - the convulsions seem to be coming more frequently and she yelps when she convulses. She is currently laying in a rubbermaid tote with a lawn chair cushion in it for padding. When she convulses she almost reaches the top of the container which is 2 feet high. Crop empty, tail down, wings tucked into side.

If anyone has any suggestions I sure would appreciate it. Thanks

1) What type of bird , age and weight. Dominque, 1 year 4 months. 4 pounds
    2) What is the behavior, exactly. Found her laying down by herself with head down eyes closed, seems limp and lethargic. Happened suddenly. She was fine earlier today. She cannot stand even with help. Doesn't appear to have any fleas, mites, worms that I can see. She convulses once and awhile. Crop empty, tail down, wings tucked into side.
    3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms? a couple of hours
    4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms? No
    5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma. No
    6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation. I have no idea
    7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all. Gave her water. She drank a little.
    8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc. Normal
    9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far? Water only, seperated her from the flock.
    10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet? Treat her myself based on organic practices.
    11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.
    12) Describe the housing/bedding in use Straw bedding used

2. msbee

msbee Out Of The Brooder

Mar 17, 2011
    MN
    How's the weather where you are? Hot?

3. llegree

Jul 13, 2011
    Overcast sky with breeze. 73 degrees. The rest of the chickens are all fine.
    Thanks

4. Hot2Pot

Hot2Pot Fox Hollow Rabbitry

Feb 1, 2010
    West TN
    Is her neck crooked?

5. llegree

Jul 13, 2011
    I don't think so? She has it between her legs, sometimes her head is tilted to the side after she convulses but if I pick her up she seems lifeless and her head just hangs down.

6. llegree

Jul 13, 2011
    Also when her eyes are open they look normal, bright and clear.

7. Hot2Pot

Feb 1, 2010
    West TN
    Might possibly be wry neck, which causes neurological symptoms. I would try treating her for it, as it couldn't hurt even if she doesn't have it. So she needs vitamin e, polyvisol chilren's vitamins. Caused by deficiency of vits and minerals, if that is what she has. Good luck.

8. llegree

Jul 13, 2011
    She died. [​IMG]

9. Hot2Pot

Feb 1, 2010
    West TN
    I am so sorry, it does come on fairly quickly. You might want to consider adding vitamins and minerals to your flock's diet. I lost several to this problem. Sometimes you can save them, if you notice it early enough. On the plus side , if that was her problem, it is not contagious . It never gets much easier to lose one, sorry.

10. msbee

msbee Out Of The Brooder

Mar 17, 2011
    MN
    so sorry about your dear one. [​IMG]

We lost one of ours a couple weeks ago due to heat. It's not easy. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by