Chicken lice, mite, etc..

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by speedy2020, Aug 22, 2010.

1. speedy2020

speedy2020 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2010
    I read some where tobacco plant will help keep many of the bugs live in the chicken way. Have anyone try? I have peppermint & mint and consider try that. Does anyone have any experiment with the herb that keep pest away from the chicken?

2. epitidios

epitidios Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2010
    I have only heard that peppermint will keep flies away from the coop. Also peppermint is good to mix with garlic, cinnamon, among other herbs as a natural dewormer. For mites and lice i applied a powder on them and i sprayed in the coop with an antiparasite agent, i bought from the vet shop.

3. speedy2020

speedy2020 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2010
    Quote:I am new on this subject so please provide the brand that you are using. Thanks.

4. rcentner

rcentner Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 6, 2009
    Le Roy, NY
    TSC has a poultry dust that works great. I made a little dusting box for them and add the dust to it every so often and let them de-louse themselves. It worked great and I see no evidence of lice anymore! It's called garden and poultry dust. Permethrin is the main ingredient

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by