Chicken lice

real_redhead

Songster
8 Years
Jun 6, 2011
Roanoke, VA
I was cleaning my chickens bottom because she had poop on her feathers and found what I think was chicken lice. What should I do to get rid of them. I am sure all the others have them too. I read to dust them with Sevin dust and dust the coop. Is this correct or should I do something else. All help is appreciated.

Thanks, I was grossed out when I saw them and started thinking what did I get myself into. I have been checking them and hadnt seen anything until I was cleaning around the vent. Poor girls, I want them to stay happy and healthy. Any suggestions on the best way to dust them? Do I have to worry about the eggs?

Pets, meat or eggs? I am always nervous about insecticide near my food source. Sevin is good....I use it. There used to be a roost paint product, don't know if it still is out there, it was good too. In a smallish building a simple pest strip hung on the ceiling has worked here to kill lice as well as flies and mosquitoes.

I know, I'm desperate and I have it in stock. At least they will get dewormed and scare mites away if they have any. I have had official BYC educators PM me swearing the benefits of Eprinex for lice, in fact, that's why I bought it. A BYC educator PM'd me and told me to buy it for my chickens lice. I get a lot of conflicting advise, but I agree it doesn't make sense if the lice are only eating the feathers. I'm just trying to use up some of what I have before spending yet more money. I'll keep using the permethrin too, and plan on buying seven the next time I'm at Home Depot. I'll just keep trying things and reduce second dosing to 7 days instead of 10. Thanks though, I tend to agree with your advise more as Eprinex didn't work the first time. I'm equally creeped out by mites and worms, so I figure a dose of it every 6 months or so may at least keep those buggers away. Remember, I said I was using it 'for giggles'. Sounds like Real_Redhead is planning on using Seven to begin with, so all should be good.

Last edited:
Quote:
Knowing my luck, I would go out to the coop and all the chickens would be hanging from it, glued tight! My husband got tangled in one once in my mud room, it was not a pretty sight.
gig.gif

My girls had lice on them but I used Seven Dust on them this morning and I checked to see if the girls had lice on them but I didn't see any lice on my hens and it works like a pro. Seven Dust is the best product to kill any lice on chickens.

Back
Top Bottom