chicken lice???

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by wjallen05, Jul 31, 2008.

1. wjallen05

wjallen05 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2008
    North Georgia
    We recently built nesting boxes for our 4 month old pullets whom we've recently "set free" to free range around the farm. They roost in the boxes at night and poop all in them (yay [​IMG].... any suggestions there?)
    Anyhow, was cleaning them out today and noticed a LARGE ammount of white flakey stuff all over the boxes. Is this lice???? What do I do about it?? [​IMG]

2. pips&peeps

pips&peeps There is no "I" in Ameraucana

Jan 18, 2008
    Newman Lake, WA
    No, that is the cuticles of their new feathers coming in. As the feather grows if falls off and that is what you see.

When the birds are chicks you see alot dust and that is also feather cuticle.

3. wjallen05

wjallen05 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2008
    North Georgia
    *whew*

Ok good!

Thanks [​IMG]

4. keljonma

keljonma Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2007
    8A East Texas
    Put some roosts in the hen house so they have something to roost on. If you see them at night in the nest boxes, take them out and put them on the roost. Poop in the nest boxes equals poop on your eggs. Yuck!

Last edited: Jul 31, 2008
  5. ChickyPooh

ChickyPooh Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 3, 2008
    South GA
    Is the lice that chickens get the same as the type of lice people get? [​IMG] please say no!

6. Smoky73

Smoky73 Lyon Master

Feb 8, 2007
    Colorado
    Is the lice that chickens get the same as the type of lice people get? please say no!

No its not

Was the white flakey stuff moving under its own power? If not, lol, then it was just from the feather cuticles as was said. But, I had to ask if the flakes "moved" [​IMG]

7. ChickyPooh

ChickyPooh Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 3, 2008
    South GA
    Thank You!!!! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by