Chicken Lifespan

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by robinwhiskers, Apr 4, 2018.

1. robinwhiskers

robinwhiskers Songster

Aug 13, 2017
    How long have your chickens lived? I'm always curious how long our 3 Buff Orpingtons (2 pullets + 1 cockerel), 2 Barred Rock pullets, and 2 Easter Egger pullets will live. They'll be 1 at the end of May. They've got a nice big run, a little bit of scratch or oats everyday, they eat layer feed, and they're well-socialized and safe from predators. One of the buffs is always mentally stimulated as she is my trick chicken and she knows 15 tricks! She also goes for walks with me on my shoulder and such, rides in my bike basket, and scratches around while I pet the horses down the road. People like interacting with her a lot...she's not scared of much! So she isn't as much in a routine but I wonder if adventures like that might affect her lifespan at all.

peckpeckpeck likes this.
  2. peckpeckpeck

peckpeckpeck Songster

Aug 3, 2017
    Aloha OR
    That's awesome!
    What tricks does she do? I'm clicker training one of mine to run after a ball & differentiate colors. Post pix or videos please!

As for lifespan, I've read that chickens can live up to 10 years or more.

I wonder too if my girls will live longer since I give them lots of interesting activities that seem to make them happier. :wee

3. RWise

RWise Songster

Dec 25, 2012
    Oakhurst Oklahoma
    I have read on this site that some folks have hens 25 YO that still produce an egg or two. My oldest hen, a blue ameraucana, is 7YO and still popping out eggs, not like she did when younger. Doing things such as lights reduces their life span,,, I use lights,,,

4. robinwhiskers

robinwhiskers Songster

Aug 13, 2017
    Jagger has an Instagram account (https://www.instagram.com/chicken.tricks/) so you can see her photos and videos there! She knows spin, back up, ring a bell, run after a ball and peck it, find my phone or pocket knife wherever I hide it, figure 8 around cones, fluff when called a pretty bird, put one foot on keyboard keys, come when called, peck whichever arm/leg/hand I point to, jump, jump through hoop, pick the jack from a deck of cards, step up, and step down.

peckpeckpeck likes this.
  5. peckpeckpeck

peckpeckpeck Songster

Aug 3, 2017
    Aloha OR
    :love:love:love
    You've inspired me to try more tricks with my girl Tango!

robinwhiskers likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: