Chicken limping and hasn't laid in a week

ts1442

In the Brooder
Mar 11, 2017
OK, this might be an involved post. I have a Red Sex Link that will be 2 years old in March. She has been limping the last 3 weeks. At first not so bad but the last week noticeably worse, to the point where I have found her laying in the coop floor and not getting around. I have bought her into the house and she is in a cage, for the last week. She seems to be fine besides the limp. She gets up and eats and drinks water. She has not laid an egg since being in the cage though. I have checked for her being egg bound and she doesn't seem to be. She is defecating. I am at the point of calling a vet and getting an x ray. I had a chicken last year that was limping and she was fine after 4-5 days in a cage.
The question I ask is, is it normal for a hen not to lay if she is hurt and really just looking for some more advice as what to do.
Thanks!

If you can see a vet and get an xray, that would be great to rule out a broken bone. Many times sprains can cause limping, and they can takes weeks to get better. Can you check for any scabs on her foot pad in case of bumblefoot? Does she walk with her bad leg held up, or does she put weight on it? Did you insert a finger into her vent an inch or so for a stuck egg when you decided she was not egg bound? What do her poops look like? Any pictures you can share would be good. It can take some time to determine the cause of a limp. Do you know if she was vaccinated for Mareks?

No Bumble foot. My wife inserted her finger into her vent and felt no egg. She walks on her leg with a pronounced limp, does not hold it up. She is a TSC hen so I supposed she was vaccinated but who knows. Her poop looks normal just less as she is eating but not as much. Will try to get some vids up but I am leaning towards a fracture or broken bone.

Back
Top Bottom