Chicken limping and laying on side.

chickenpun

In the Brooder
6 Years
May 13, 2013
Thomasville, NC
I dont know what her deal is for 2 weeks now she has been just laying on her side she doesn't move but to eat and drink. She isnt laying eggs and I gave her a bath today and cleaned all the poop out. I didnt note any worms I did see one bug crawling on her but, she has been on the ground for 2 weeks now. I dont feel and egg stuck and her vent was clean even though she was coated in poop. Maybe she hurt herself?? should I let her heal or send her to the great coop in the sky? help me please I am really sad about this right now she is sitting on the nice warm hear vent and is being blown dry since she had a bath. any advice is appreciated TIA.

I'm not a vet or anything, but it sounds like an injury to me. I'd give her a good once over and look under her feathers, though it sounds like you did a pretty good job already. If you do happen to find the wound you should flush it with disinfectant. I'd recommend using slightly diluted hydrogen peroxide. You should probably quarantine the girl too, and then clean out the wound two to three times a day. I'm so sorry, I hope she has a fast recovery
hugs.gif

Can she stand at all or if you stand her up does she walk or fall over? I would worry about a neurological disease such as Mareks if she is not walking at all. If she is limping, it may be an injury or a break, but if both legs are involved I would think it is a disease. Is she alert or lethargic? Is she having diarrhea. Is she eating well? Is she molting, and has she been wormed lately?

Last edited:
What this sounds like to me is Mareks
which is a deadly disease but I am
just wondering if when you pick her up
is she stiff.

She is now up and walking again with a limp still will not fly up to roost at night. she lays on the ground in the coop. Pretty sure she broke her leg. my chickens are all from different times I bought my leghorns and sexlinks who flock together a few weeks later got the amercaunas and then the wyandotte's came from a friend and her buddy wouldn't leave her side and then died I assume from the cold or stressed over her buddy. but her and my bantam rooster Mr. Wobbly became good friends Mr. Wobbly only has one claw on each foot he had a leg disease when I got him we cleared up but he lost some toes in the process. it is funny to see them wobble around together.

Bad news I went and picked her up today and she weighs next to nothing. I think it may be best to put her down tomorrow she still isn't roosting and lays all day in the same spot. She does venture out a little but, but is very frail and thin.

Back
Top Bottom