Chicken Limping, Is She Okay?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by ChickenRaiser95, Dec 24, 2012.

1. ChickenRaiser95

ChickenRaiser95 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2012
    Snohomish County
    this afternoon i noticed my hen is limping. she is trying to get pressure off of her left foot. could she have stumbled or fallen and injured herself? the vidoes are in the next comment.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2012
  2. ChickenRaiser95

Aug 19, 2012
    Snohomish County
    here are the links:

Last edited: Dec 24, 2012
  3. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    That isn't a terribly bad limp. I'd catch her and look her over. You can usually pick them up off the nest if they don't like to be handled. Check the foot closely for bumblefoot, which is rather easily treated. Check for leg mites, a broken toe nail, etc. If her feet look good, perhaps there is some warmth or swelling somewhere along the leg or hip. Things like a sprain or strain may clear up on their own, especially if you provide extra rest for her for a few days. A fracture likely will not heal properly and she will stay crippled. I have one who limps much worse than that, but she seems content, and still lays.

4. ChickenRaiser95

Aug 19, 2012
    Snohomish County
    before i posted earlier, i checked her. nothing seemed to be wrong. should i separate her from the rest so she can recover? i have a small flock of only 6. they are partially free range, going into the coop at night. i had a different one of them in a large dog kennel on my porch when she was getting over sour crop. i even made her (the injured one ) a sweater because she likes to molt when its freezing. i just hope her injury isn't serious. my birds are my babies. this is her summer pic.
    [​IMG]

5. froggiesheins

froggiesheins Overrun With Chickens

Oct 14, 2010
    Jurupa Valley, CA
    DO NOT let her jump down from the roost until her limp is better. It will just make her limping worse [if she did sprain/strain/bumblefoot] ....you get the picture...Hugs to your hen for a speedy recovery!

6. ChickenRaiser95

Aug 19, 2012
    Snohomish County
    she can't even make it too the roost stick because her feathers are thin from molting. she sleeps on a crate just off the ground.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by