1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Chicken Limping, No Bumblefoot

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by nancypo, Sep 29, 2012.

1. nancypo

nancypo Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2010
    Boise
    My Coop
    My one Barred Rock hen has started limping pretty bad. She did this about 4-6 weeks ago, no bumblefoot or apprent visual injury. She recovered on her own. She a normal, healthy 2 1/2 year old otherwsie. Eating pooping, laying. Goes up and down the ramp. She's in an urban flock. I can't feel any dislocated hip or? I don't bring her inside last time, just watched her closely and she recovered on her own. With our inside cat I don't want her inside and it's mild outside right now.

Any ideas what this could be?

2. nancypo

Mar 26, 2010
    Boise
    My Coop
    And no vets here for chickens that I could afford...

3. chickenzoo

chickenzoo Emu Hugger

It could be anything from sprains and strains to becoming weak from internal parasites....
    Did she loose any weight?
    How is her face color?
    How is the poo..

4. nancypo

Mar 26, 2010
    Boise
    My Coop
    We discovered this afternoon she probably got caught under our chicken "pergola" when it fell a few days ago (same time). Some of her feathers were under there today, so it's probably a break or strain....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by