Chicken limping not getting better.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Welsh Ducky, Nov 19, 2016.

1. Welsh Ducky

Welsh Ducky Out Of The Brooder

Sep 6, 2016
    My chciken Daffy is just under 7 months, and two weeks ago she was attacked by a bob cat, she had no apparent injuries but a few days after the attack she started limping and lost a lot of weight. We started giving her half a pill of baby aspirin a day for the first week, but that didn't seem to do anything except for making her tired. I think she has gained a some wait back but she is much lighter then our other chickens. She avoids putting weight on her foot so we checked to see if there was any scabs or cuts infections/etc. there was nothing on her foot now she just limps around.....I'm not sure if I should splint her leg I also stopped giving her baby aspirin and after that she seemed to gain a little bit of her lost weight. If any one answers please respond as soon as you can it would be greatly appreciated. :fl

Here is a picture of how she normally stands now.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Little Fuzzy

Little Fuzzy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2016
    She looks like the is definitely in pain. Are you sure the leg is not broken? Have you picked her up and manipulated the hip. I had a hen limping and when I manipulated the hip I was able to isolate the injured spot. If her leg is broken she needs a saint.

3. Little Fuzzy

Little Fuzzy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2016
    Sorry, I meant she needs a splint.

4. Welsh Ducky

Welsh Ducky Out Of The Brooder

Sep 6, 2016
    I stretch her leg around every day and when I first noticed the limping there was a little swelling at her knee. I will look more but I don't think it is broken and she is able to move it around normally but it's obvious that it hurts her...Thanks for the Advice! :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by