1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Chicken limping since Monday and is getting worse- Thought it was a sprain Need Help

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Kimbos Giants, Oct 15, 2014.

1. Kimbos Giants

Kimbos Giants Out Of The Brooder

May 25, 2014
    Texas
    On Monday, I was letting all of the girls out of thier roost area and I noticed one of my barred rocks who is 24 weeks old unable to step down with her left leg and was using her wing to balance herself. She was not doing that when I put her up the night before and though that maybe she hurt herself getting down from the roost. I continued to watch her and she was limping, I picked her up looked at her foot and felt for any breaks on her leg and did not notice anything. Tuesday I kept close supervision on her, still limping but seemed to be putting more weight on her leg, until my Jersey Giant got spooked and landed right on her back. She let out a "Scream" a chicken yell and not is unable to put weight on her leg at all and is using her wing to balance. I have her isolated from the rest of the flock checked her feet for bumblefoot, no signs, and have a vet apointment tomm for her. Is there anything I should be doing that I am not or could it just be a sprain, instead of a break. If is is a break will it heal? I have raised chickens for about 8 months now from chicks and this is my first injury. I have 3 Barred Rocks, 2 Jersey Giants and one EasterEgger. She is eating and drinking just fine and is very vocal about not being with the rest of the flock.

Any suggestions? Is the best option the vet or is there a normal time period for sprains to heal (if it is a sprain)?

Thanks,

Kim

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Check her foot pad over after cleaning it for any dark spot the could mean bumblefoot. It would be best to cage her in her coop with friends, water and feed, and some vitamin B Complex in her water daily. Sprains and breaks can heal in a couple of weeks, but the more she is out and about, she is prone to re-injuring it. Splinting won't help with a sprain, but if you can spot any swelling or bruising or displacement of the bone, then splinting may help. Observe her on a weekly basis for limping. Keeping her with flock would be best in order to avoid the difficulty of re-integration into the flock. If you can afford a vet, you could get an xray to tell if it is broken, but those are a little expensive.

3. Kimbos Giants

May 25, 2014
    Texas
    Thanks for your fast reply.

I'll go out an check her foot and legs again. My husband is not too happy about taking the chicken to the vet, so it may not be in the cards for me. I was really worried about the healing if it is broke. If I keep her out of the flock for one or two days will it affect anything? I feel do bad for her keeping her separate but I am afraid one of the bigger girls may land on her again.

Thanks again.

4. Kimbos Giants

May 25, 2014
    Texas
    I went out and checked her up and down for anything and I do not see any dark spots or feel any breaks. I put vitamins in her feed and gave her some treats. She will only get up for food or water or for me to grab her.

5. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Being out of the flock for 1-2 days won't make a difference, but to be gone for longer, they may forget her, and then they would be more inclined to peck her. I have kept hens out for 5 days to break them from being broody, and they usually do well coming back to the flock. If a dog carrier or cage is around, those can be good sized to put inside the coop or run.

6. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    My hen who was not caged took 5 weeks to recover from a sprain. I don't want to scare you, but I would make sure that she doesn't have any paralysis in her leg, that could possibly signal Mareks disease. Sometimes chickens with Mareks will balance with their wings if the leg is becoming paralyzed.

Here is a good recent thread to read about a broken leg with a timeline of recovery: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/902413/hen-with-broken-leg-near-hock

7. Kimbos Giants

May 25, 2014
    Texas
    I just dont know what to do! thank you for the link it was very informative.

8. Kimbos Giants

May 25, 2014
    Texas
    I think I am going to have to bring her to the vet because I can't tell if there is a break. She appears to be getting worse and will hardly move. She is still eating and drinking . Her leg is not extended straight like the pictures of Mareks. I wonder if making her a sling would help? It's so sad.

9. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Mareks symptoms can vary in all cases. A vet would be best to rule out a break. If the vet could draw blood if her leg Xray is negative for a break, the blood could be sent to Texas A&M for a Mareks test. Please keep us updated.

10. Kimbos Giants

May 25, 2014
    Texas
    I will, I have to be careful to protect my other girls. I raised them all from chicks so I am a little attached. Who am I kidding...I'm a lot attached:D. I lost one to a predator several weeks ago , survived coccidiosis due to all the rain and the coop flooding, and now this. I still have not had one egg from any of them, but I am more concerned with them being healthy, the eggs will eventually come. Il. Keep you informed, thanks again.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by