CHICKEN LIMPING

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Grandma Quinn, Nov 10, 2016.

1. Grandma Quinn

Grandma Quinn Just Hatched

May 29, 2016
    Girard IL
    I have a small 5 month old Buff hen that my large Brahma rooster tried to breed and afterwards she was limping (my husband did not tell me about it until a few days later). Then I noticed he did it again and she was limping worse. I separated him and put her in a cage in the coop to heal. What could have happened. There are no physical signs of injury except the limping.

2. chickens really

chickens really Chicken Obsessed

She just sprained her leg? Possible with an inexperienced Cockerel....My Cockerel has only started to breed too....He is a Brahma cross and falls off more than he breeds.....They both go tumbling over......I am sure she will be fine.....

Cheers!

3. Grandma Quinn

Grandma Quinn Just Hatched

May 29, 2016
    Girard IL
    He is inexperienced and triple the size of my hens at the same age. Little Buffy is the smallest of them all.

4. rebrascora

rebrascora Overrun With Chickens

Feb 14, 2014
    Consett Co.Durham. UK
    At 5 months old another possibility is Marek's disease, which can exhibit as lameness (leg paralysis) and in some cases is triggered by stress from a cockerels unwanted advances and/or the confusion of hormones at adolescence.
    Let's hope it is just a sprain.

5. chickens really

chickens really Chicken Obsessed

Yes....It is his youth.....Pay zero attention to the Doom and Gloom.....Pretty sure your Bird will not Die!!!!

Cheers!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by