Chicken limping

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by GroovyFarmer, Dec 29, 2016.

1. GroovyFarmer

GroovyFarmer Out Of The Brooder

Aug 9, 2016
    Canada
    One of my chickens has been avoiding using one of her feet. She has been hopping around and holding her foot up while standing. I have examined this foot and have found nothing unusual - there's no wounds or swelling, it doesn't feel hot, the nails aren't too long, and the scales look normal. Is there any other reason why she could be limping?

2. MasterOfClucker

MasterOfClucker Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2016
    Iowa
    No sign of Bumblefoot?

3. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

Yeah, she possibly sprained her leg jumping off the roost....

As long as it is eating and drinking......No problems...

Cheers!

4. GroovyFarmer

GroovyFarmer Out Of The Brooder

Aug 9, 2016
    Canada
    Absolutely none. The pad of her foot looks as normal as can be.

While that does sound possible, this chicken has always insisted on sleeping in a nesting box. I don't believe that my boxes are high enough off of the ground to cause injury.

5. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    How old is she?
    What type of food/treats do you feed?
    If she is of laying age, when was the last time she laid an egg?
    Any lethargy, panting, laying down, bloated abdomen, standing oddly?

There can be so many issues that involve the legs - sprains, injury, laying/reproductive disorders, disease, nutritional deficiencies...

If you think it's possible that she may have injured/sprained the foot/leg - stepping in a hole, tripping, jumping, etc. Chickens can be a bit clumsy at times. I would suggest that you limit her activity for a few days - this can be done by placing her in a kennel inside the coop/run - this way she is still with the flock. Provide her with her normal feed, a little extra protein like egg or tuna and give Poultry Vitamins in her water (look for one that has B2-Riboflavin). If it is an injury/sprain - you should see some type of improvement in a few days.

Keep us posted.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by