Chicken limping,

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by HeidiN, Jan 13, 2019 at 5:22 PM.

1. HeidiN

HeidiN Chirping

Jan 8, 2017
    North Idaho
    I went outside to find our 9 month old pullet limping, almost dragging her tail. I also found a broken egg (her color) under the roost that may have been softer shell than normal, was hard to determine, as it was broken. She has been holding her tail down all day, and when standing, staying off her hurt leg.
    I have no idea what could have happened to her. One other pullet had blood on her leg, and mild limping that has improved through the day.
    Could she be egg bound? She laid a much larger than normal egg a couple days ago.
    The others don’t seem to be picking on her, so I’m not eager to isolate her, as companionship always seems to help keep the will to heal strong. But maybe I should bring her in a cage at night so she doesn’t have to roost?

2. Fishkeeper

Fishkeeper Songster

Oct 30, 2017
    Central Texas
    Any way something like a weasel or rat got into the coop, injured her, and was scared off?

3. ChickNanny13

ChickNanny13 Crossing the Road

Jun 23, 2013
    The Big Island/Hawaii
    Have you checked the hen in question over for any injury? The one with the blood, did you inspect for injury? The limping could be a sprain if no injury but keep a close eye.

As for the tail down, possible laying issue. You said you think the egg under the roost with a softer shell maybe hers, that she laid a bigger egg than normal couple days ago. What are you feeding? Do they have Oyster Shells in a separate dish? Is she eating, drinking & pooping?

You could leave her with the flock or put her in a wire cage with food & water in the coop with the rest. You could give her some Calcium Citrate w/D3, Calcium Carbonate w/D3 or Tums if you have any around ... Smash it up & put in her food, see if that helps any.

Wyorp Rock and Eggcessive like this.
  4. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Crossing the Road

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I would check her for a stuck egg by inserting a finger one inch inside the vent. If she is not egg bound, she could be dealing with impacted oviduct or a glitch in her egg laying. Make sure that she has crushed oyster shell for extra calcium and on layer feed. It might be good to give her a human calcium tablet to day, since low calcium levels can lead to egg binding. Also give her some water to sip. If you feel an egg or material, shell, or membrane, soak her in shallow warm water for about 20 minutes to see if it will pass.

It is hard to know exactly what is going on with the two limping, and the blood on one’s leg. Look for any pecking, blood feathers, or anywhere they can get jabbed. You could have a predator, so just inspect for any tiny openings in the coop. Here is some reading about egg binding and impacted oviduct:
    https://www.merckvetmanual.com/poul...tem/egg-bound-or-impacted-oviducts-in-poultry

Wyorp Rock and ChickNanny13 like this.
  5. HeidiN

HeidiN Chirping

Jan 8, 2017
    North Idaho
    I brought her into the garage in a cage for the night, as I’m not sure she’d be able to roost. My daughter said she found her in the nest box at lock down last night and moved her to the roost. They were free foraging yesterday afternoon, so something could have happened then. I kept them locked up today, much to their dismay.
    They have free choice oyster shell. I will give her some calcium tomorrow. I never got ahold of the other one with bloody leg. She doesn’t seem to be injured, likely scraped on something.

6. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    They will sometimes seek comfort in a nest box when they cannot get up to a roost or when they are feeling poorly. I would check inside her vent with a finger for a stuck egg or shell/membrane, and also watch for any egg like material in her droppings.

ChickNanny13 and Wyorp Rock like this.
  7. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Crossing the Road

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    The one that has her tail down - have you checked to make sure she is not eggbound, has prolapse, swelling/bloat in the abdomen? She is staying off the leg - have you check that for injury, heat, swelling? (bottom of foot too)
    If you still have her inside and she is not much improved. I would re-check her.

The one that had a bloody leg, that would be worth checking out as well. If you can't catch her during the day, wait until she is roosting tonight-very easy to catch and inspect then:)

ChickNanny13 likes this.
  8. HeidiN

HeidiN Chirping

Jan 8, 2017
    North Idaho
    I looked her over this morning. No external signs of injury, but she won’t put weight on the right foot. She ate and drank decently and had a normal looking poop. I put her back in the crate and she settled down to rest. I will keep her in today and see if the rest improves. We had a hen with a leg injury last summer, but had a rough rooster to blame. No rooster now, so not sure.

9. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Is her tail still down this morning? That can be a sign of egg binding, reproductive disorders, and other illnesses.

ChickNanny13 and Wyorp Rock like this.
  10. HeidiN

HeidiN Chirping

Jan 8, 2017
    North Idaho
    She is getting stronger. I believe it is a leg injury. Am going to try to upload video. She is eating and drinking and eliminating normally.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: