Chicken limping

Langers99

Hatching
Mar 12, 2022
My chicken (Meryl) started limping 5 days ago and has gotten worse.

I’ve checked her foot and legs and she has no obvious problems. I don’t think it’s bumble foot or scaly leg mites.

It looks like she is limping from her hip. I can touch her hip and she’s fine though.

Other than the limp she is completely happy. She’s eating normally, energetic and happy.

I’m not sure what to try to help her!

She may have gotten injured from jumping off a perch or high access area where she may have broke her hip, leg or toes. She also may have just knocked her hip out of place. Is her foot or leg swollen? Does she put any sort of pressure on that leg?

She may have gotten injured from jumping off a perch or high access area where she may have broke her hip, leg or toes. She also may have just knocked her hip out of place. Is her foot or leg swollen? Does she put any sort of pressure on that leg?
I had a look this afternoon and I couldn’t see any swelling or feel anything obvious. She also didn’t flich/move when I grabbed all up her leg to feel for pain.
She puts some pressure though it when walking but will stand on one leg. She also leans to the opposite side when sitting.

How has your hen been doing?

I have a Silkie with a similar situation. She was doing fine, I brought her in due to picking and to let her gain some weight, and she's now not really using one leg. She will stretch it, but the toes don't bend and she'll hold it in front of her like she can't move it back far enough to sit on.

I see no injury, but her leg will move to the side somewhat easily whereas on the other side she resists that movement.

Back
Top Bottom