CHICKEN LIMPING

LongLiveChickens

In the Brooder
May 9, 2022
I was feeding my chickens when i saw one of my chickens limping and hopping around with their wing dragging, i picked her up and took her inside because i was really worried and when i checked her foot it was limp? i saw a area where it looked like her scales went in and like it was smashed in? i cant get a good photo right now but i will when my phone charges, im really worried and i don't know what to do. i gave her water and shes just laying down right now but tries to get up but ends up falling over lopsided and her wing droops. she sometimes leans forward and her tails in the air? PLEASE HELP shes around 3 months old.

Pictures may help. Look her over well for any injuries, and sepatate her in a dog crate with food and water. Give her some sugar water or electrolytes with a small cup.
this is all i could take, she was whimpering when i lifted her up. it

Attachments

• 86875D51-7C19-482E-B63F-211B9A4688FD.png
    86875D51-7C19-482E-B63F-211B9A4688FD.png
    3.9 MB · Views: 5
  • 65E79C8D-56A5-49CD-9BEF-5906A024FC0B.png
    65E79C8D-56A5-49CD-9BEF-5906A024FC0B.png
    4.3 MB · Views: 5
  • 6334ACA3-7D58-4167-A172-4980CF845628.png
    6334ACA3-7D58-4167-A172-4980CF845628.png
    3.7 MB · Views: 5
this is all i could take, she was whimpering when i lifted her up. it
Poor thing... Do you think that's pus under there? I see some yellowish spots. Or maybe that's bruising, which is green in chickens? What do you think, @Eggcessive?

If it's injury, rest is needed, for sure. If it is some sort of infection, antibiotics will be needed. I'm wondering if a sling chair might help. I'm surprised she's trying to stand.

Poor thing... Do you think that's pus under there? I see some yellowish spots. Or maybe that's bruising, which is green in chickens? What do you think, @Eggcessive?

If it's injury, rest is needed, for sure. If it is some sort of infection, antibiotics will be needed. I'm wondering if a sling chair might help. I'm surprised she's trying to stand.
the scale looks like its going in i think thats whats hurting her or making her uncomfortable ☹️

I would keep an eye on her. Separating her in a dog crate with food and water, but leaving her with her flock would be best. Hopefully, she has just suffered an injury. She could also have been pecked or injured by another chicken. Keep an eye on the wing. At 3 months an injury would be suspected. But Mareks disease can show up at this age with wing or leg paralysis. The injury seems to be more obvious though.

Back
Top Bottom