Chicken limping

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by newchknmama, Sep 19, 2011.

1. newchknmama

newchknmama Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2011
    Middleton ID
    I was out of town for 2 days and came home and my husband told me one chicken was acting funny.. so I went to check it out and my BO is limping. I examined her and couldn't see anything wrong and I thought maybe she was egg bound. I can't feel an egg, and she is pooping ok. I soaked her in warm water last night and this morning she is still limping. Last night she was just laying down for a lot of the night. She doesn't look "sick" , but three seems to be something not right. I know the first thing will be to take her to the vet but I just spent a fortune at the vet on a stray kitten last Friday to have it die on me and my husband won't justify me taking a chicken to the vet. Is there a better way to tell if she is egg bound?

2. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    Limping isn't usually a sign of being egg bound. If a hen is egg bound, they often walk like a penguin. Is that what she's doing? If not, then maybe she has just strained her leg in some way.

Is she eating and drinking alright? Then maybe just keep her restricted for a while in a cage or dog kennel, so she can rest her injured leg. Give her some special treats and pamper her a bit.

Good luck to you,
    Sharon

3. elmo

elmo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2009
    DFW
    Did you check her feet for signs of bumblefoot, or any other visible injury?

4. newchknmama

newchknmama Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2011
    Middleton ID
    I did, I looked all over her feet and her legs, even her wings.. i cant see any injury at all.. she is just favoring one foot over the other..

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by