chicken limpingdder or one of the bran

waysidedesign

In the Brooder
8 Years
May 20, 2011
I noticed one of my girls limping around the yard yesterday. There's nothing noticably wrong with her foot or leg. Could she have hurt it jumping off her ladder? Any tips or ideas?
Thanks guys!

Quote:
Pick her up and check the bottom of her feet for bumblefoot, a dark in color round scab on the bottom of her footpads with redness/swelling surrounding it. If you see it, type "bumblefoot" in the BYC search box and you'll see alot info on it.
She couldve sprained a foot/leg, pulled a muscle or tendon, jumping down from a high roost or other high place. I recommend that you lower roosts if necessary and try to eliminate high places where they can fly up to.
You might want to put her in a cage with feed and water to keep her from injuring her foot/leg further by not letting her run around, scratching, digging etc...Keeping her caged will allow the injury to heal. Foot/leg injuries take time to heal, sometimes 5-7 days for minor problems, even longer for more serious injuries. Some may never heal but the chicken can adapt hopping around on one leg. It also depends if infection is involved or not. While she's caged, you can give her scrambled egg and buttermilk mixed into her feed to make a mash. You can add vitamin B complex to the mixture to help speed up healing. You can buy it at a pharmacy and crush about 3 tablets into powder, sprinkle the powder over the mash and let her eat the mixture. Hopefully she'll be normal sooner.
Another possibility why she's limping could be caused by scaly leg mites. If you see raised, dirty looking scales on her legs, clean her legs with warm soapy water then dry them thoroughly. Then apply Nu-Stock on her legs...shake the tube well beofre applying. Repeat one more time in a few days with the Nu-Stock.

Thank you for all of that info. It's not bumblefoot...we looked last night. We had one of our girls have that this past summer and we actually cured it ourselves. I think I will put her in my dog crate for awhile in the coop.....good idea.!

Back
Top Bottom