Chicken Liquidation Count - how to give Tylan to chickens orally.

Velder

In the Brooder
Aug 10, 2022
South Central PA
This posting is as probably as much cathartic as other purposes.
How to give chickens Tylan 200 orally

Chicken Liquidation Count, me one (1).
Feel free to add your losses on this post.

It was my fault as I shouldn't have been so gullible to the plethora of garbage on the internet - to say nothing of Google's (YouTube) echo chamber conspiratorial analytics, and that I too want to "do it the easy way, no injections" but this seems to be lacking some warnings and precautions and is likely ego driven.

I also suspect the fact that I had to administer this myself and the bird had trouble breathing and that Lakenvelders are flighty nervous birds that don't like to be held which exasperated her breathing, that she probably 'inhaled' more into her respiratory sac than she would have if she was healthy and relaxed. I assume that she got some into her lungs because she seemed to be attempting to exhale it out of her lungs, I came back two (2) hours later to give her some blueberries and raw hamburg to flush the medicine taste and she was dead.

"Veterinarians" should post warnings.
The bird in the video seems to be breathing well and looks very relaxed.

===================================================
I like the following site because it's a no-fluff site that provides a wealth of information and off-label drug usage for poultry.
Poultrydvm.com Tylan (tylosin)
Again, this was my fault, but the info for tylosin could be a little ambiguous regarding oral use of the drug due to:

Drug Form states 1 - injectable or 2 - oral powder, it does not say "oral injectable"
Dosage indicates 1 - IM (injectable), orally (which one may assume to be either the "oral powder" form, or the Product link – ambiguous. 2 – in drinking water, which one would assume to be the "oral powder" form.
yet,
Products seems to provide the common injectable Tylan 200 (Value Pack), with Oral or Topical applicators implying that it can be given orally, which contradicts the Drug Form description, i.e. oral powder.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dosage: Administered IM (15-30 mg/kg every 6-12h), orally (50 mg/kg, once daily), or added to drinking water (50 mg/L)
Drug Form: Available as an injectable (50 mg/ml or 200 mg/ml Tylan 200) or as an oral powder.
Products:Elanco TylanVP 250 mL with Oral/Topical Applicators (Safran Value Pack)
===================================================

Chicken Vet Of Our Flock
i'm going to show you how to treat an upper respiratory infection in chickens by using Tylan 200 orally/by mouth.
I recommend using it for as many days as you see symptoms

@grayman2972
You can kill a chicken doing this

"This is the best option and I’m happy to inform"
"so much more easy" synonym "easier"

Do we need a wall of defense against this level of 'information'?

Set your ego aside, let others know if you've killed a bird this way.

I'll likely not respond, unless seeking advice - on what to avoid!
Good luck fellow birders.

I'm sorry for your loss and frustration.

The person who posted that video is not a vet.

Poultry DVM is not ran by a vet either, it's a website that has gathered information from around the web and has compiled it as information. Not all info there is correct either.

It's up to the reader and viewer to do their own research and come to their own conclusion as to what medications to give and how to administer them.

Seeking professional Vet Care (Paid) is usually your best option if you want some type of recourse.

Back
Top Bottom