1. <3 N.C Chicken Chick <3

<3 N.C Chicken Chick <3 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2011
    Jacksonville N.C
    While online I read about the deep litter meathod. So i put clay cat litter in the bottom of the chicken house. They only roost in there durring the night. Useing an litter box scoop you can clean up the dried poop from in their house. [​IMG] Will the cat litter be bad for their feet or is it ok?

2. Hawkeye95

Hawkeye95 Chillin' With My Peeps

I don't see why it would be bad.. but I'm not 100% on that one. Most people use about 4-6 inches deep of pine shavings. $5 a bag, it goes a long way.

3. <3 N.C Chicken Chick <3

Sep 24, 2011
    Jacksonville N.C
    Thanks Where can you buy the pine shaveings. Do you put thease in their nest boxes?

4. Tiffanys' Mama

Tiffanys' Mama Out Of The Brooder

Sep 17, 2011
    Michigan
    We got ours at Tractor Supply.We are trying it in our chicken coop but have straw that we need to use up so we put that in our nestboxes. But I don't see why you couldn't use shavings instead.

5. <3 N.C Chicken Chick <3

Sep 24, 2011
    Jacksonville N.C
    Thanks I'am new at this. [​IMG] what do you do for winter It snows some where we are?

6. Rosaleen

Rosaleen Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2011
    Danville, Vermont
    About once a week I empty the paper shredder at work. I mix this shredded paper with pine shavings for the coop. The shredded paper makes the pines shavings last a little longer and seems to do the job.

7. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    N.C chicken Owner :

Thanks I'am new at this. [​IMG] what do you do for winter It snows some where we are?

The same thing. Chickens have a lot more trouble dealing with heat than cold. Just be sure there isn't a cold draft on them when they are asleep, and the coop has enough ventilation. They probably won't pay any attention to snow, unless it is deep. Then they may be hesitant to walk on it.

This is more than you asked, but you did say you're new, so let me also give you a link (that has some other links) that might come in handy:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/web/viewblog.php?id=1642-VENTILATION

8. <3 N.C Chicken Chick <3

Sep 24, 2011
    Jacksonville N.C
    [​IMG] thanks I will wind proof the windows for the cold. And I think my Aunt has an paper shreder that sounds like it would help too.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by