Chicken Litterbox - AKA my new roost

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by cyanne, Sep 22, 2008.

1. cyanne

cyanne Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2008
    Cedar Creek, TX
    Our chickens had outgrown their makeshift roost and needed something bigger, but since we were in the process of moving I did not want to build something we couldn't take with us. Also, I wanted something that would catch all the poo and be easy to clean. Here is what we came up with:

[​IMG]

The top roost is about 4 feet from the ground, and each level has a heavy duty tray to catch the poo. The trays are 2ft X 3ft and we got them at Lowes in the concrete mixing section for about $13.00 The rest was made from scrap wood I already had in the garage leftover from other projects.

[​IMG]

Each tray slides out for easy cleaning, and I put in a couple of inches of stall-dri so that any poo that falls in there gets dried up and doesn't smell. Plus, when it's time to clean, I just use a litter box sifting scoop and scoop out all of the poo, leaving behind just the clean stall-dri (this also keeps the poo from sticking to the inside of the tray).

[​IMG]

As you can see, my chickens LOVE their new roost, and I plan on making more of these when we get moved into the new house and build new coops for them.

2. KellyHM

KellyHM Overrun With Chickens

Sep 10, 2008
    Lakeland, FL
    Very nice!!

3. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Good job, but the slats look a little small for a standard.

4. crtrlovr

crtrlovr Still chillin' with my peeps

looks like a winning idea, and btw you have some very pretty birds!

5. ChanceRider

ChanceRider Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2008
    Somerset, CA
    That would work SO well in my coop for my 9 girls. What's really great is that I'll probably have plenty of left over 2" x 4" and 1" x 3" boards from building their run this week. All I'll need is the pans. Thanks for sharing your success and posting the pics!

6. DouglasPeeps

DouglasPeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2008
    Colorado
    Great idea! I love it!

7. SSO202

SSO202 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 16, 2008
    Hartwood, VA 22406
    Great idea. I really like it. I may have to fabricate something like that for mine. Good luck with the move you have in progress!

8. redoak

redoak Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2008
    Russia, NY
    Great idea, and the lower chickens don't get ..........

9. cyanne

cyanne Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2008
    Cedar Creek, TX
    Quote:Good eye! I was originally going to use 2 X 4s, but I needed to maximize roost space because I had so many chickens living in this coop for the time being. Using the 1 X 2s I was able to put in more cross pieces.

The set-up is only temporary though, as we'll be moving into our new place at the end of October which has a 12 x 20ft building onsite that I am turning into a 3 part chicken coop. I'm dividing it up into 3 pens with 2 for standard layers and the third for the bantams.

The roost bar sections on this are removable, so I can swap them out with 2 x 4's or just use this one for the bantams and build new ones for the standard hens.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2008
  10. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    Wow, that's a great idea. Reminds me of the outhouse toilets at summer camp

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by