Chicken Little has gone to Glory.

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by oxfordethan, Jun 10, 2011.

1. oxfordethan

oxfordethan Out Of The Brooder

Apr 11, 2011
    I get a call from DW this morning telling me I better come home. I'd just got off of a 24 hr. shift at the FD and had just clocked in at my 2nd job. Each morning my 3 y.o. daughter goes out and opens the run so our 3 hens can free range in the backyard during the day. We also have 2 mini dachshunds. It's not uncommon for the doxies to take a couple of runs at the hens when one of us goes out there to feed or water the hens. It was always a playful type chase. Any time I took scraps out the dogs and the birds would eat side by side. Everyone coexisted with no problems. Well this morning Haley came running in and told my wife the the dogs were chasing her chickens. DW went to check out the situation and that's when I got the call. Little's foot got caught in a roll of chain-link fence during her morning cardio workout. I guess she was causing a comotion and the dogs saw an opportunity and jumped on it. Anyways, I got home and she was barely hanging on. She'd been mortally wounded (i won't go into details). I did what I had to do as gently as I could. Do I feel partially responsible? Yes. But...I didn't get into BYC'S to keep them caged up all day! I'm gonna roll the dice and hope it was just an unfortunate incident. Little was the smallest of the 3 but she laid the fattest eggs! She'll be missed.

2. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    So sorry for your loss.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by