Chicken Little

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by lpstony, Oct 31, 2016.

1. lpstony

lpstony Just Hatched

Oct 31, 2016
    New to Back Yard Chickens. Have been raising plants all my life as a business.
    Thought it would be fun to raise a few chickens mainly for the nieces and nephews to know where eggs come from.
    Started with 16, Partridge Chanteclers, Black austrolorps, Ideal 236, Barred Rock.
    My kids are grown and gone so I converted an old 2 story club house in the backyard to their coop. It has a trapped door for them to go inside to the top floor. So far all is good. All advice accepted. Thinking of bringing in some broilers.
    Are their any laws about selling eggs or meat? And is it worth letting a meat processor process your broilers?

2. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi and welcome to BYC - great that you have joined us. Guess it depends on where you are, as to the laws. Re: broilers - guess that would depend on how many you intend keeping.

You'll find lots of info in the Learning Centre https://www.backyardchickens.com/newsearch?search=learning+centre and if you have a specific topic in mind, just type it in the search box - there's a wealth of information on past and present threads.

You may wish to consider joining your state thread as it will put you in touch with other BYC members in your area - https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/26/where-am-i-where-are-you

All the best
    CT

3. PattyAnnie

PattyAnnie Out Of The Brooder

Oct 25, 2016
    Starkville, MS
    Hi!

Welcome!

I'm new too. I know there are different regulations for selling eggs and chicks. In my state of Mississippi they want the NPIP certification and a permit to sell eggs at say a farmer's market. They are coming out to check my birds when I have 20 or so of at least 5 months old. Seems like a lot of folks on here prepare their own chickens for eating.

I sell plants too (orchids). Been growing since I was 12 which is a very long time:)

Starting a batch of eggs in an incubator this week. First time I have tried this.

4. CuzChickens

CuzChickens CountryChick

Apr 24, 2016
    Virginia
    Hello there, and welcome to Backyard Chickens! CTKen gave you some great links. Broilers are a great idea! I personally prefer using the Freedom Ranger birds as opposed to the Cornish Crosses. I can not say enough bad things about the Cornish Crosses, but just for starters, Cornish Crosses should not even be in existence, much less considered chickens. Chickens are supposed to run, eat grass, catch bugs, jump, and just be chickens. Cornish Crosses? Sit into front of the feeder all day long, if they try to stand up, chances are they will break their legs, or keel over from a heart attack. The only good thing about them is they are dull, white birds with NO personality, so you don't have to worry about getting attached. I bought 20 Cornish Crosses, and by the time they were 8 weeks old, and of butchering age, I only had 11 left. They die if you blow on their feathers the wrong way. OK, I'll stop ranting about them. :rant

I recommend processing your own birds, I have processed 100 in a day with 2 adults and 4 kids helping. It is often easy to find a few extra hands that will gladly help if they get a chicken or two. This is making me realize I really need to just write an article about raising broilers and covering the many aspects of it.

I hope you enjoy BYC!

5. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, lpstony, and :welcome! Great to have you aboard! Best wishes and thanks for joining BYC!

6. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

7. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG]

8. runt325

runt325 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2016
    :welcome to byc

Last edited: Nov 1, 2016
  9. BlueBaby

BlueBaby Chillin' With My Peeps