Chicken Littles in South Central PA

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Bunnyhopping, Feb 17, 2014.

1. Bunnyhopping

Bunnyhopping New Egg

Feb 17, 2014
    Living in Carlisle PA. We have two little bantams in an eglu. The eglu was given to me by one of my sisters who thought I would really enjoy having chickens. In fact it came occupied by these little bantams which I called my practice chickens. :) They are over 5 now, I am calling them geriatric practice chickens. They only lay under optimum conditions ie when the weather is perfect and they are completely happy with their feed, water, and my attitude! LOL...Weather has been so brutal here have not had an egg for several months now. Looking forward to enlarging on my practice chicken knowledge here.

2. gander007

gander007 Chicken Obsessed

Alright Bunnyhopping, [​IMG] great to have you joining the flock [​IMG]

Chickens tend to slow down the egg production as they age so no surprise there
    so if you want egg's more often you need to raise some pullets every couple of
    years and they will be the ones producing most of your egg's ......

gander007 [​IMG]

3. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    You must take very good care of your birds, to raise them to a geriatric age. [​IMG]

4. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    [​IMG]

Great that you have elderly birds! You must take very good care of them and give them all the lovin! [​IMG]

Enjoy all your poultry adventures!

5. Welcome to BYC. [​IMG]

6. Bunnyhopping

Bunnyhopping New Egg

Feb 17, 2014
    I did not set out to have elderly chickens. These are birds I am practicing care on and did not want to make too many mistakes with a whole flock. I guess I did not plan well though because now what I have is essentially two pet chickens and no eggs. I did see that someone said I needed to get pullets every other year to stay in egg producing chickens and wonder how to introduce new ones to the old ones, especially since what I have are bantams which are small. I am not wanting to get more bantams, but standard size chickens ( is that the correct description? ) These two ladies were good egg producers for me and they are fond of me, so they will live out their golden chicken years here but I do not want a retirement home for chickens, so I guess I also need to know how do you manage your girls when their egg laying days are over?

7. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC!

8. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! If not being kept as pets, people do various things with their chickens when they have finished laying, but usually they wind up being eaten, true "retirement homes" for old laying hens are hard to find. So usually either process and eat them yourself or give or sell them away to be processed. Most people who are keeping birds strictly for eggs will replace them at 2.5 years old when they go into molt the second time, after they have molted they will still be decent layers and some people who are happy with fewer eggs a week will take them so you may be able to do that, but even then they will usually be precessed eventually.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by