Chicken living with a goat

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by cjh0907, Dec 13, 2011.

1. cjh0907

cjh0907 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 5, 2011
    Western Mass
    I recently had to pull my beautiful Plymouth Rock out of my chicken coop because all of the sudden him and my other rooster started to fight. I came out one morning and they were both bleeding and still going at eachother. They have been together forever and never had a problem until this day. However, i took the my PR rooster out and had him in a dog cage for about a week and a half while i was trying to find a good home for him. Needless to say i couldnt find him a good home. I felt bad keeping him in the dog cage so i decided to let him out in my goat coop and run. There is plenty of room for them both as it is a large shed and large run. They seem to stick together now and i am wondering if this is mean to keep my poor rooster away from other chickens. When i let my chickens out to free range, which i do everyday, they do go up the the run to see the rooster. He is such a friendly rooster and dont have the heart to send him to freezer camp.

2. RedheadErin

RedheadErin Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2011
    I know goats make good buddy animals for a variety of other species, including horses. One farm I drive by every day has a pasture with goats, horses, and chickens all together, and they all seem peaceful.

3. Ariel301

Ariel301 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2009
    Kingman Arizona
    If he gets really lonely, you could always throw a hen in there with him.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by