Chicken looks sick

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by suzidazz05, Mar 18, 2017.

1. suzidazz05

suzidazz05 Just Hatched

Nov 23, 2016
    Albury
    My chicken doesn't look well her feathers are ratty her crest comb is flopped over and when I let her out she was really slow and just seems not herself. She lives with another hen in a small enclosure the other hen is perfect. There's feathers everywhere we assumed 1 was malting maybe the 1 that is in perfect nick.

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    It could be molting. Those symptoms can be common if the age is right for a molt. I would offer some chopped egg or tuna to get her to eat, and make sur ethat she is drinking normally. My chickens tend to be aloof and eat less when they are molting. Chicks born in spring usually molt in the fall.

3. suzidazz05

suzidazz05 Just Hatched

Nov 23, 2016
    Albury
    She was Born about June. Yah there's been feathers everywhere but wasn't sure whether it was the other that has malted now she's past it or it's the 1 that looks poor and she's still going through it. She seems to be eating just looks very poor and no energy.

4. suzidazz05

suzidazz05 Just Hatched

Nov 23, 2016
    Albury
    We lost her sometime today :( poor darling her friend looks ok but she's really jumpy.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by