Chicken Looks Sick

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by ChickenDudette, Nov 24, 2013.

1. ChickenDudette

ChickenDudette New Egg

Mar 10, 2013
    I have a Golden Comet (about 9 months old), that is just standing, puffing out it's feathers, and tucking in it's head. It won't run around with the other chickens, and has a droopy comb. It is eating and drinking, but there is definitely something wrong. This has been going on for 3-4 days and hasn't looked any better. if anyone know what this might be please tell me!

Thanks

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    The description of your pullet is pretty common for many illnesses. Combs can be droopy in any chicken healthy or not. If your chickens is new to your land, or you have recently gotten another chicken, I might suspect coccidiosis if she is having diarrhea and not eating. She normally should be immune to the coccidia strains in your yard at her age though. Mite infestation, worms, or being egg bound would be other considerations. Check all over and especially under the vent for mites, and some only come on them late at night. Worming with Valbazen or Safe-guard liquid goat wormer would be good. If you do think she has coccidiosis, then 5-7 days treament with Corid (amprollium) would be the treatment.

3. ChickenDudette

ChickenDudette New Egg

Mar 10, 2013
    Ok, thanks so much! I will look into these diseases.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by