Chicken loosing all of her feathers

cookydook

Hatching
Nov 10, 2015
New Zealand
Hi everyone
I am quite worried, one of my hens has started loosing all her feathers and I think she may be getting picked on. I know they go through a moult but is this normal? none of the others are bad, a few have their tummy feathers missing and some on their neck. I have treated for lice/mites. I am in the process of building a new coop incase it is lack of spacce but with it being winter here I am worried for this wee girl.
Any advice would be appreciated, still learning here. :)
I have added a photo so hopefully you can see.

How old is your hen? Think they molt at about 18 months ... which is something I am still waiting to experience.

We have a hen like yours, and yes, it was because of a feather picking hen. We only had 5 chickens and the feather picker was #2 in the pecking order. We had plenty of room, fed them protein and a good diet, etc. Put pin-less peepers on the feather picker and she still picked feathers after stopping briefly, separating her from the flock only worked briefly too. Finally after a year she started on a second hen and we gave her away. She went to a lady with a much larger flock that said she didn't think her hens would put up with that. Problem solved. It is taking forever for our hen that got picked to grow her feathers back but it is slowly happening.

Looks like yours has a red spot that might need some blue kote sprayed on it so it doesn't get worse. Good luck with your flock. She is a pretty hen.

Thank you for your reply. I never got a notification that someone had replied. I am unsure of how old she is as she was a rescue. I put some iodine on her wound (not sure if that was okay or not but has helped. And she is starting to grow new feathers so it must have been a combination of going through a molt and feather picking.

Back
Top Bottom