1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Chicken losing balance cant walk straight after lice bath

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by mrserv0n, Mar 19, 2012.

1. mrserv0n

mrserv0n Out Of The Brooder

Feb 5, 2012
    My polish had chicken lice on her, badly too imo. I have DE that they get baths in there pen and such, doesnt seem to kill them so
    I got some pyrethrum and diluted to 3/4oz per 5 gal bucket and gave it a 3 min warm bath in it, a ton of them floated to the top.
    Then I gave her a warm bath of just water and flea shampoo to rinse off with. Alot of lice floated to top in that batch as well.
    Then I made a spray batch of it to get her neck good.

So we dried her off with hair dryer. its 75 here and no wind and let her walk around in the sun. She seemed cold and wouldnt move much, though she'd eat corn. Well we deceided to put her under a heat lamp for an hour or so.

Now She cant walk straight its like her nervous system is messed up. Its horrible. I hope I didn't posion my bird. The instructions give a spray calculation for poultry, I used that exact amount only for a bath then rinsed her with water

Did I damage my poor bird? Help!

2. mrserv0n

mrserv0n Out Of The Brooder

Feb 5, 2012
    Just want to let everyone know it took about 3 hours but the chicken has completely recovered, I dont know if it was halucinating or had bath shock or what but now it acts fine and walks normal again

3. Maggie C

Maggie C Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2012
    Largo, FL
    I'm so glad your girl is okay. She may have just been shocked by the bath, imho.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by