Chicken losing feather, on and off again sneezing...

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Coppercanyon, Aug 24, 2010.

1. Coppercanyon

Coppercanyon New Egg

Aug 24, 2010
    I am realatively new to chicken rearing, so this is my first encounter with something not right with my birds. We first noticed 1 year old hen beginning to lose feathers around her tail, the feathers look broken off and frayed...this has been going on for quite a while, long enough to not be molting. Then it has spread to another 5 hens, all in various stages of looking very rough. We did have a period of sneezing, which has subsided. The hen that was sneezing is not effected with this feather condition. I have inspected them closely, and see no signs of mites or lice, and the skins appears pale (normal??). Does anyone have any idea what is troubling these poor birds?

2. spish

spish De Regenboog Kippetjes

Apr 7, 2010
    Belgium
    could you have a bully in your flock whos feather picking the others?

3. Coppercanyon

Coppercanyon New Egg

Aug 24, 2010
    I don't think so... I don't know how to explain it...it starts out by looking like the feathers are choppy, and frayed, starts by the tail, and then gets to the point where all I see is the down underlayer, still intact and not harmed at all. There is no bleeding and no bruising of the skin. I will have to pay more attention to the bullying issue, who knows...that could be it I suppose.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by