Chicken losing feathers and screaming bloody murder!

Chuckadoodledo

In the Brooder
Aug 21, 2021
One of my black stars (~15 months) has been losing a lot of feathers recently, with no obvious signs of trauma. We're in California, so it's not freezing, but all our other girls have their full plumage. Her behavior with the rest of the flock seems pretty normal, getting picked on a bit, but not significantly more than normal. Eating well. Poop a bit runny. I wanted to isolate her in case she has something contagious, and when I went to pick her up she acted like a totally wild animal getting attacked by a predator -- screaming continually and trying to escape like she was in the jaws of a coyote! She continued screaming for at least a minute after she was put in the cage. The other girls were super worked up and thought we were eating her! Our other chickens may not particularly enjoy being picked up, but usually tolerate it well with some disapproving clucks, so this is totally unusual.

Attaching photos and a video of her screaming in the cage: https://photos.app.goo.gl/s642tUfpWMFGm2Md8

I'm hoping to learn 1) what's happening and if it's something I can treat, 2) if I should continue to keep her isolated [and if so, how long?] Thank you in advance for your help!

She's going through a hard molt and needs extra protein, not isolation. :] She's screaming when you touch her because you're accidentily shoving all her new feathers back in her skin and it really HURTS, like if someone touches you when you have a bad sunburn. Give her high protein treats like scrambled eggs, tofu and cottage cheese to help the feathers regrow.

One of my black stars (~15 months) has been losing a lot of feathers recently, with no obvious signs of trauma. We're in California, so it's not freezing, but all our other girls have their full plumage. Her behavior with the rest of the flock seems pretty normal, getting picked on a bit, but not significantly more than normal. Eating well. Poop a bit runny. I wanted to isolate her in case she has something contagious, and when I went to pick her up she acted like a totally wild animal getting attacked by a predator -- screaming continually and trying to escape like she was in the jaws of a coyote! She continued screaming for at least a minute after she was put in the cage. The other girls were super worked up and thought we were eating her! Our other chickens may not particularly enjoy being picked up, but usually tolerate it well with some disapproving clucks, so this is totally unusual.

Attaching photos and a video of her screaming in the cage: https://photos.app.goo.gl/s642tUfpWMFGm2Md8

I'm hoping to learn 1) what's happening and if it's something I can treat, 2) if I should continue to keep her isolated [and if so, how long?] Thank you in advance for your help!
You definitely should check her skin for lice. Had a similar thing with one of our hens. Treated with diametric earth for about 2 weeks and fixed her right up. This is of course if you find lice.

I have a sweetie that loves being petted but when she went through molt she wouldn't let me near her.! I agree no isolation extra protein for sure. Probably no eggs till spring.

Thanks everyone. She's back reunited with the rest of the flock this morning. She refused to let me inspect her too closely, but I don't see any evidence of lice or mites. She was too preoccupied with trying to escaping isolation to eat, so the other birds ended up eating all the protein snacks I prepared special for her. I'm much less worried now and will just let her fend for herself. Everyone is out free ranging on the hillside, so hopefully she'll find some good grubs to eat.

I would continue to keep a close eye on her. Sometimes a hen will struggle and need some extra support while molting. I like to take them somewhere away from the flock to enjoy a nice protein boost and to make sure she's eating at least once or twice a day and put her right back with her flock once she's finished. I know she's being difficult to handle but if you're able to check her crop at night to make sure she's eating and in the morning to make sure her crop is functioning properly, that will be helpful. You probably don't have to do this everyday, but every other day. I hope this helps.

Back
Top Bottom