chicken losing LOTS of feathers

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by sandyr, Dec 28, 2007.

1. sandyr

sandyr New Egg

Dec 28, 2007
    One of my 3 chickens is losing lots of feathers, especially around her neck and rump. Does not appear that the others are pecking at her. Because of the feather loss, she looks very skinny, but I know she is eating. Heard I can dust her for mites, since this may just be her first "molting" of her life. Any advice would be most appreciated. The weather here is in the teens and I know shes got to be cold, even though she's got a snuggly coop with lots of bedding around her. Thanks!

Last edited: Dec 28, 2007
  2. HobbyChickener

HobbyChickener Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2007
    central KY
    Is there are Rooster there? If so he is probably the cause. If not you might try dusting for mites.

3. jjthink

jjthink Overrun With Chickens

Jan 17, 2007
    New Jersey
    If she seems otherwise well (and even a bit lower energy), she may indeed just be molting, as illogical as that seems with weather that cold. If she is kept warm, she should be okay. Extra protein is said to help with feather growth and could help her get through molting more easily. Soon you should see new feathers begin to poke out........

There is also the chance of mites.....
    JJ

4. ksacres

ksacres At Your Service

Nov 16, 2007
    San Antonio TX
    sounds like molting to me. Some hens do it gradually, some hens get that "plucked" look. I'll try to get a pic of my hen that's molting. She looks like a drowned rat.

5. Nifty-Chicken

Nifty-Chicken Administrator Staff Member

Check out our golden laced: She is in the middle of this picture (standing on the board):

[​IMG]

This is her during her molt:

[​IMG]

That's loosing a LOT of feathers!

6. peeps7

peeps7 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2007
    North Carolina
    [​IMG]

7. ksacres

ksacres At Your Service

Nov 16, 2007
    San Antonio TX
    yes, but the ones that molt like that usually get back to laying the fastest, even though they look horrible!

Catfood and sunflower seeds would be my recommendation!

Last edited: Dec 28, 2007
  8. ksacres

ksacres At Your Service

Nov 16, 2007
    San Antonio TX
    Oh, and Nifty- That is one FUNKY chicken [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by