Chicken Losing Tail Feathers...PICS included

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by TheChickenProject, Aug 26, 2010.

1. TheChickenProject

TheChickenProject In the Brooder

May 20, 2010
    My three month old Cuckoo Maran is losing tail feathers and has blood on the quills. The quills are left in her but the feathers are gone. Since she is the largest bird in the flock, I don't think other hens are pulling them out. Is there any disease or parisite that would make her pull her own feathers out? Is this a normal molting occuring? Since I'm a new owner, I have no experiance to draw from.

I am posting pictures. I know they are not that clear but my camera does not have a macro function.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Thanks.

2. theFox

theFox Songster

Sep 21, 2009
    Standish, Maine
    There are several things that could be at work.

Your bird could be plucking her own feathers, her flock mates could be plucking them, if she roosts on a low roost it is also possible that rats could be gnawing on them at night.

If she is self plucking it could be due to stress or parasites.

I'd check her over for lice and mites. If found it is time for some poultry dust. Use in accordance with the instructions provided.

Stress could come from overcrowding they do need space inside the coop, and any other environmental matter such as high temperatures, a nutrient deficiency in her feed, etc ... etc ...

3. TheChickenProject

TheChickenProject In the Brooder

May 20, 2010
    Thanks for the reply.
    There are no rats or mice in the coop. The space issue is not a problem, there is plenty of room. I don't see any other bird plucking her feathers.

I will check her tomorrow for lice and mites. I might even dust her just to be sure.

Thanks for the help.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: