Chicken Losing Wing Feathers and I don’t know why…. Please help.

May 21, 2021
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
Hi, this is Nala my 11 month old New Hampshire chicken. Recently she has been losing her wing feathers and some of her crop feathers. I have never had this happen to my other chickens.( I am pretty new at this) I put some A&D cream today. She has been laying normally but when I touch the area where her feather are gone, she is in pain.Does anyone know what this is or what it is cause by? Is there anything I can do to help her? Thank you very much and have a nice day.

Could she be getting picked on by the others? I have never had a chicken get feathers plucked out other than our polish on her head. This looks like it could be that though cause in the first pic there is blood. Has she been acting normal other wise? I hope that someone more experienced answers for your beautiful hen. 😬😊

Is she mated regularly by a rooster?

She's a dead ringer for a two-year old Golden Sex-link. My hen never had her first fall molt. Her mating damage is all the more apparent because of it.

Are you in the northern hemisphere? If so, hopefully, she will molt later this fall and those feathers will all be replaced. If not, she will be stuck with the thread-bare look for another year.

Could she be getting picked on by the others? I have never had a chicken get feathers plucked out other than our polish on her head. This looks like it could be that though cause in the first pic there is blood. Has she been acting normal other wise? I hope that someone more experienced answers for your beautiful hen. 😬😊
Thank you! She and all our hens gets along really well. We recently integrated chicks into the flock. Everyone responded well. She has been acting a little of lately. She starts freaking out when I pick her up, she also runs from me when I try to pick her up. Usually I can pick her up with ease. But other than that everything has been ok.

Is she mated regularly by a rooster?

She's a dead ringer for a two-year old Golden Sex-link. My hen never had her first fall molt. Her mating damage is all the more apparent because of it.

Are you in the northern hemisphere? If so, hopefully, she will molt later this fall and those feathers will all be replaced. If not, she will be stuck with the thread-bare look for another year.
We recently integrated chicks to the flock. We also got a roo. He has just started to mate with her, so I didn’t think that it could be mating damage. And fortunately we are in northern hemisphere, so hopefully she will get new feathers soon. Thank you very very much!

Back
Top Bottom